Notices

Capital One Rewards Travel Cautionary Tale

Old Aug 5th, 2013, 05:26 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Capital One Rewards Travel Cautionary Tale

Just a heads up to travelers booking rewards travel through Capital One Rewards / Travelocity.

After booking a trip to Scotland back In February we received no confirmation e-mail. According to the company 90%+ of e-mails sent to g-mail accounts are caught is the spam filter.

This failing led to a series of disastrous events for our family, with us being stranded in Scotland with 4 children (2 with special needs) and neither Capital One Rewards or British Airways willing to help with the error.

In the subsequent days of complaints to Capital One rewards, we have been told that there are 3 checkpoints to confirm dates/times at point of booking, so I am not sure how such an error could occur.

Having said that, a Capital One Rewards rep also told us that we had "a better chance of winning the lottery than them being wrong".......yup that really made us feel better about a bad situation.

I would advise using caution with Capital One Rewards - and do not be surprised to receive very poor customer service if an error is made.
Old Aug 5th, 2013, 05:53 PM

So sorry you had that happen to you and your family.
That is why I no longer use my card as a "rewards" card. I just use it for cash back and then have the actual cash to pay for my travel.
Old Aug 5th, 2013, 11:04 PM

It was up to you to check your spam folder for the confirmation email. I don't see how Capital One is responsible.
Old Aug 6th, 2013, 03:19 AM

Sad but I agree with sparkchaser, if you are expecting a repy and don't get it then surely the first thing you would do is check your spam folder.
Old Aug 6th, 2013, 04:49 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
And if you didn't find it in the spam folder surely you would contact the relevant company. Why on earth would you leave on a trip without confirmations in hand???

Had you checked to see whether the relevant points had been deducted from your account?
Old Aug 7th, 2013, 08:40 AM

You haven't provided enough info/detail for anyone to really have an opinion on what you are saying. You say, they say is a tie game. It sounds like what happened is your return flight reservation was not confirmed.

Spark and crell, I once bought some travel insurance online using a credit card and got a 'transaction approved' message followed by a policy number and policy details to print out.

On my return from that trip I found a letter awaiting me that said the credit card transaction had not gone through, the insurance provider had sent me an e-mail saying I was not covered and to contact them to arrange payment and re-instate the coverage. Having had no response to their e-mail they sent out a letter as required by law. (I don't check e-mail when I am travelling.)

So the entire time we were on that trip we had no insurance according to them. Fortunately, we didn't need to make a claim and so there was no real issue. All it meant was we didn't pay for insurance. Their loss, not mine.

So even when you have a confirmation and a reference number (or policy number in the case I'm talking about) the 'system' may deny everything. LOL

The funny thing is the credit card provider and the insurance provider are the same company. In other words, the insurance department of company X (I see no need to name names) said, 'ok, the credit card transaction went through, no problem, here's your polic number.' Then later sent an e-mail saying, 'oh, OUR credit card department hasn't paid us, you're not insured, please try again because our left hand and right hand don't talk to each other.'

I do agree with you both that it is the customer's responsibility to make sure they get a confirmation number. But even if they do, the system can still mess up.
Old Aug 7th, 2013, 11:23 AM

Not sure what part of the world you are from improviser, but in the UK at least ( still the worlds largest insurance centre) once a policy is issued that is it, you are covered. Even if the events happened as you described, the credit card company would be jointlyand severally liable for any losses incurred through he insurance company's negligence under the various consumer credit legislations. Although I do accept that claiming under such circumstances would prove problematic and a complete PITA and, indeed if one is stuck up the Amazon without the proverbial paddle!

Two things I always do before travel is to double check air tickets and travel insurance. The latter is always arrange at he time of booking he former as if anything happens prior to travel, e.g. Illness, bereavement, volcanic eruptions etc.., I would be covered. Leaving insurance until the very last minute sort of reduces its effectiveness somewhat.

anyway, this is somewhat off the point. I cannot imagine travelling as the OP appeared to do so, without making sure I had confirmed flights. Thankfully, I do not travel with small children, but if I did I would check and double check my arrangements.
Old Aug 9th, 2013, 07:59 AM

"So the entire time we were on that trip we had no insurance according to them. Fortunately, we didn't need to make a claim and so there was no real issue. All it meant was we didn't pay for insurance. Their loss, not mine."

The country was Canada cresllston. Note I wrote, 'according to them'. I am well aware of what would have happened if we had had to make a claim. I would have pursued it and I believe would have won a case eventually. As you say a PITA.

My point is, I did not leave without confirmation. Whether off a flight or insurance really doesn't matter. It could have been either.
Old Aug 14th, 2013, 07:26 AM

"After booking a trip to Scotland back In February we received no confirmation e-mail. According to the company 90%+ of e-mails sent to g-mail accounts are caught is the spam filter.

This failing led to a series of disastrous events for our family, with us being stranded in Scotland with 4 children (2 with special needs) and neither Capital One Rewards or British Airways willing to help with the error."

What "failing"?
That you did not check for a confirmation e-mail?
That the spam filter could have caught the confirmation e-mail, but you didn't look for it? The credit card company and the airlines wouldn't fix it for you, because you didn't take good care in planning your trip?

I'm sorry this happened to your family, but it was your fault. No one else's.

For any trip, bring printed copies of all confirmations, in addition to having them stored on e-mail. Simple solution.