Search

CAPITAL ONE CARD: NOT FUNNY

Search this Thread

Old May 4th, 2017, 10:03 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
CAPITAL ONE CARD: NOT FUNNY

So I went to use my Capital One Debit/credit card yesterday in Rome and got asked for a 6 digit pin.

LONG story, and two calls to the states later, I have now been assured by two different CAP ONE reps that I am to add two zeros to the END/BEGINNING of my PIN in order to get to six digits. So WHICH do I do -- the end or the beginning? I don't want to get locked out again!!

Plus they asked for a pin when I tried to use it in a store, with no indication of how many digits they wanted.

Has anyone been using a Cap One card here in Italy and KNOW what the correct thing to do is? I'm not laughing.

Thanks in advance!

TF
Old May 4th, 2017, 04:06 PM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
Why not re-post on the Europe forum . . . where several others w/ Cap1 cards are at this very moment traveling in Italy . . .
Old May 5th, 2017, 05:57 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Are you using it as a debit card? I use Capital One credit card and do not have a pin for it.
Old May 5th, 2017, 07:37 AM

If you are using an ATM, punch in your 4 digit PIN number and then hit ENTER. The ATM should accept any PIN with 4 to 6 digits.

If it doesn't work, go into the bank and see a teller.

Re buying in a store, again 4 digits and hit enter. You NEVER tell your PIN number to anyone including a store clerk.
Old May 6th, 2017, 01:04 AM
Original Poster

Thanks very much.

I haven't retried it in a store yet, but I got it to work in the machine THAT ASKS FOR 6 DIGITS by adding two zeros at the END. I still don't know what to do if it just tells me to enter a code. I guess I will first try 4 then move to 6 if that doesn't work. Very frustrating all around.

I DID try just putting in my regular code of 4 digits and enter it didn't like that.

Yes, this is the debit card which I had planned to use mainly to take out cash, but when that didn't work I tried to use in a store. (Capital One has no International Fees and a good exchange rate.)

Very frustrating way to spend vacation time!

TF

I have a BOA Travel Card which also does not have fees (the travel one only) but I can't take cash out with it and the fees on the debit card are beyond absurd.