Search

Camping abroad with flights

Search this Thread

Old Feb 27th, 2023, 11:09 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Camping abroad with flights

I'm planning a camping trip in America but would be flying to Seattle from London, does anyone have any clever ways of packing a tent, sleeping bag etc for this trip? Would you buy and sell everything over there? Rent it all out? Is there a company that hires it all? I'd love to know your solutions please!
Old Feb 28th, 2023, 06:04 AM

Received 8 Likes on 1 Post
Spending valuable vacation time trying to buy and then sell everything doesn't sound like a good plan.

You could rent. There are no doubt multiple rental options in Seattle, but the big one is probably REI:
https://seattle.rentals.rei.com/port...ing%20Gear/810

If it's stuff you think you'll use again, then my preference would be to buy my own and pack it in a duffle bag. I have one like this, note various sizes and colors available:
Amazon Amazon

Good luck.
Old Feb 28th, 2023, 08:02 AM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
Renting is a good idea -- but for some items, they are so inexpensive at places like Walmart and Target, buying and leaving behind/donating wouldn't be out of the question. Some things can be cheaper to buy than rent.
Old Feb 28th, 2023, 11:55 AM

Received 8 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by janisj
for some items, they are so inexpensive at places like Walmart and Target, buying and leaving behind/donating wouldn't be out of the question. Some things can be cheaper to buy than rent.
Yes, that's true. I was thinking of the expensive items.

Also, "camping" to my brain means "tent in the backcountry wilderness", but I realize there are all sorts of gradations, out to developed campgrounds with ping-pong tables in the rec room. So OP may want bulkier stuff. All valid.

Finally, if the trip will involves hiking on trails, make sure your footwear fits and is broken in. Don't trust buying or renting that upon arrival. Have a good trip.
Old Mar 1st, 2023, 05:30 PM
J62

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Walmart is a huge seller of camping equipment - you can find just about everything you need there.
Take a look at walmart.com to see if they carry what you are looking for.

And there are walmarts everywhere....