American Express Centurion negative experience...

Old May 22nd, 2023, 06:38 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
American Express Centurion negative experience...

This post is to share my recent experience and on going frustration with American Express Centurion customer service. I've been an American Express Centurion card member for 52 years. The following is a long post but explains in detail the poor performance I've experienced with the Centurion team.

Up until about 3 years ago the Centurion service has been excellent and a great value to me, as, me and my wife travel extensively. In the past the Centurion service would assign a single point of contact (as a concierge) to help facilitate travel, lodging, purchases and even account services. This dedicated person was very experienced in handling clients and professional, this person would be intimately familiar with my account and I could rely on this person to help with any help that I needed.

About 3 years ago, American Express decided to change from a single dedicated person format to a group or team format for its Centurion card members. To say the least this has been challenging as the level of experience / knowledge / training of certain Centurion team members is woefully inconsistent. You may get a good team member on one call but call again and you can be dealing with someone that clearly should not be handling calls with American Express' most exclusive card members.

A recent experience with the Centurion team may be the last straw that ends my relationship with American Express. I purchased 2 First Class, round trip, refundable tickets thru the Amex Centurion team for roughly $31k USD. A week into the trip I decide to change the return date and was charged an additional $11k USD in Air Fare difference for the 2 tickets. A week later my plans change again and I decide to cancel the return portion and request a partial refund. The Centurion team first tells me the refund amount will have to be worked on by a separate dept in Amex. I call a couple days later I call to follow up on refund and am told that this request takes 5 working days, this was never explained when I requested the cancellation and refund.

On the 5th day I get a call from a member of the Centurion team (Lorraine), she tells me the refund will be a approx $5,900 , to which I tell her there must some mistake as I spent a total of $42k (with return date change) on refundable tickets. I then realize I am talking to myself as Lorraine is not answering me and then the call is disconnected. I wait a couple minutes thinking Lorraine would call back but she didn't. I call back and get another Centurion team member, I ask for Lorraine and the new rep tells me Lorraine is on a call but the refund amount is $5,900 and she will call me back later. Lorraine never called back.

The next day I get on a call with the Centurion team supervisor (Amber) and give her a full detail on the refund issue, the interaction with Lorraine and my on going concern and frustration with Centurion. She takes all of the information, assures me that she is handling the situation, will research it and will get back to me by end of day. An hour later I get a call from a new person from the Centurion team (Glade). Glade begins to explain that the $5,900 refund amount is correct due to it being partial refund and provides a strange example for a different imaginary trip on a different date and how if that trip was cancelled the refund would be similar. Dumbfounded at the explanation I express my frustration and remind the rep, Glade, that I have been a Centurion card member for 52 years and I expect American Express to provide a more suitable solution as I don't think I am being treated fairly. Glade starts to laugh as I am voicing my complaint and then says "I'm done" , I clearly tell him that I will post this experience to social media along with details on how Glade treated the call, Glade laughs again and tells me "it's ok Amex has lawyers too". The call is disconnected.

I am sharing this, following thru on my promise to Glade, but more importantly, to highlight how the business decision by Amex to change the handling of its top customers from a focused and service oriented person to a rotating team where its the luck of the draw on who you get.