Search

Carry-on luggage size

Search this Thread

Old Oct 15th, 2003, 10:16 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Carry-on luggage size

Interestingly enough the size for carry on luggage is different for several domestic carriers (U.S.)

Found a web site (www.TerryTripper.com) it listed several items including carry on limits....45 inches to 51 inches. But have yet to see airlines enforce these rules.
Old Oct 16th, 2003, 11:46 AM

My husband has been forced to "gate check" his admittedly oversized carry-on on several occasions on full flights. (The bag is legal unless he stuffs the outside pockets full).
Old Oct 22nd, 2003, 08:52 AM

oh. let's talk about carry ons....why is it that all of America feels the need to pack everything they need for a one week trip and load it on tothe plane with them? It is getting rediculous. The Airlines need to stop this madness and force people to check their bags....surely we can be without our "stuff" for a few hours. Planes are more crowwded then ver the carry on thing makes it out of control And, I really resent when all I have brough on is a samll briefcase and I am asked to block the foot space in front of me so someone else can load up the overhead bin above me...I have to be that much more cramped in my seat for the conveniance.....don't even get me started....
Old Oct 23rd, 2003, 01:53 AM

While some people bring huge carryons for the reasons you state, many business travelers bring carryons to avoid huge check-in lines and lengthy waits for checked luggage to reappear after flight - when time is money, that is important.
Old Oct 23rd, 2003, 03:34 AM

I hear you Gail, but there is an easy solution, gate check......it's a trick I learned a long time ago....and they always come off first....even on connections....just say "this looks like a pretty full flight, my bag is big and I don't want to bother other travellers".....the gate attendent will always take your bag.
Old Oct 23rd, 2003, 09:08 AM

I agree with Gail that "time is money", which is why I check the bags, but resent (especially if seated at the rear of the plane) having to WAIT in the plane while everyone fumbles with their bags. Those of us with no carryons should be allowed to exit the aircraft first, preferably by seating us up forward. And like Seafox, I don't like it when I've brought little or nothing on the plane, but am asked to keep my jacket on my lap, or briefcase on the floor to make room in the overhead for those who carry all they own with them.

If we truly wanted to save time, the airlines would allow NO carryon, but have a GUARANTEED delivery of baggage to its destination on the SAME flight as the passenger. We spend too much time stuffing & unstuffing people & things into the passenger compartments.
Old Oct 27th, 2003, 10:55 AM

I can't find www.TerryTripper.com.
Old Oct 27th, 2003, 01:25 PM

Then there are those of us who must bring out whole dang carry-on bag full of medical supplies (medications, equipment, etc) on international routes with certain airlines' super-restrictions on size. I'm flying SAS on Saturday and my carry-on I've used many times in the U.S. (which is not huge & is allowed on American carriers' flights) is too big for them. I must bring many medical supplies with me and nearly my entire bag is monopolized by this stuff, leaving me NO room for anything else. No CD player, no books, no change of clothing, no nothing. So it goes both ways. Especially when we're told we can't put food or electronic equip in checked baggage. That leaves only one place for everything: carry-on. And the smaller the bag the more impossible it becomes for some people to even bring what is necessary for a trip.

Yes, I'm feeling bitter right now, LOL!
; -)