A Comparison of Major Travel WEBSITES

Search

A Comparison of Major Travel WEBSITES

Search this Thread

Old Jul 1st, 2019, 06:54 PM
kja

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by mlgb
I review postings before a trip to learn about current issues (even if the answers can tend toward the BS end of the spectrum). Things like strikes, safety issues are often highlighted on TA long before they are ever mentioned on Fodors.
Interessting! Thanks for that observation, mlgb.
Old Jul 2nd, 2019, 08:17 AM
Original Poster

One more observation about LP's Thorn Tree. Some clever young Brit poster there started a thread called 'Snow Report' several years back. It soon morphed into a General Weather Report, wherein posters give a description of their own local weather. As of today, one can still count on semi-regular updates for weather for Japan, Switzerland, Toronto, Munich, Palermo, England (DCD---that's the country which is below Scotland), Provence, Australia and the French/Italian mountain border. One Swiss poster takes the original intent to heart and lists extensive snow levels throughout their nation.

I am done.

Last edited by Moderator3; Jul 2nd, 2019 at 09:29 AM.
Old Jul 3rd, 2019, 09:51 PM

I have been a forum member here at Fodor’s for over 10 years. It used to be a dynamic forum and a great source of highly useful information as well as a good place to "have a chat" with like minded individuals. It can’t have escaped any regular users notice that the activity has declined sharply in recent years. The only forum which seems to see any reasonable level of activity is the Europe forum. South America is all but dead and frequently goes for several days without a post. Mexico, Asia and Africa, all seem to be heading that way too. That said, in planning current trips to South Africa and Japan, I have had some very useful responses to questions I have posted, just not as many of them as would have been the case a few years ago. Most have been considered and in depth responses.

Contrasting that with similar questions I posted on Tripadvisor, I generally got more responses but much less in depth but still found them very helpful, especially when they were along the lines of "no, you don’t want to do that - do this...

Tripadvisor seems far less chatty / friendly than Fodor’s. I have met several Fodor’s members from various countries in various places around the world and correspond regularly with a number outside of the forums. Tripadvisor seems far less sociable in that respect, although I do tend to get many more people contacting me via the PM facility at TA than at Fodor’s. That is maybe because certain forums on TA seem far less friendly than others and people do get harangued for asking "stupid" questions, forgetting it seems that there are no stupid questions, only stupid answers..

When picking hotels, I do try not to be too anal about it (it’s a struggle at times!) I use a combination of booking.com and TA and where I can, I do try to post reviews myself, whether they be good bad or indifferent. If at all possible, I will try to seek advice from like minded people here, on the basis that if they like a place, so will I.
Old Jul 21st, 2019, 01:08 AM

I am a longtime TA poster, and like others here have found the tone has changed, I find lots of posts are simply "I liked it or didn't like it" a bit of a box tick. Not really informative. There a couple of posters on TA that are really terrific, Vagabonda in Sicily, and an older lady with mobility issues who was regular on Istanbul. I suppose people get a bit snarky when the same question gets posted all the time, when people don't check.I like the discussion on Fodors, its very entertaining. LP I think has had its day, I don't use it at all. Rick Steves isn't well known here in Australia, but I think he caters to a market that appreciate his every word!!
Old Jul 21st, 2019, 11:23 AM
Original Poster

Yo MD, I agree, Vagabonda really makes a consistent effort to be useful to others. Btw, LP started its forum in '96 and deserves some credit, some respect for getting the whole ball rolling.
I am done. The post.
Old Aug 22nd, 2019, 01:28 AM

That is a really good point, about a niche for traveling with kids. There are a lot of terrific bloggers out there that focus on that, but it’s not the same thing as a cohesive resource (preferably one that’s not marketing something).

I was thinking about this thread the other day. I wonder if the forum “structure” is just on its way out. Even besides travel forums, a lot of the other interest forums I followed in college are extinct. This forum really doesn’t get the traffic you’d expect. TA gets traffic but it’s quantity rather than quality, and they do promote (endlessly) when you even so much as look at a destination.
Old Aug 22nd, 2019, 04:55 PM
kja

FYI: Frommer's guidebooks include a fair amount of information on traveling with children.
Old Sep 19th, 2019, 04:20 AM

I have been using travel forums since 2010, and discovered most of them when searching for information on destinations. As many have said Frommers seems to be disappearing, with very few recent posts. Their guidebooks can be very good.
TA
I have had some excellent advice on their road trips forum when planning long distance road trips-not about the specific destinations, but the best way to get from A to B with or without using major highways vs the roads less travelled- the road less travelled always being my choice.
TA though can be incredibly judgmental, with posters and DE's questioning why you want to visit a geothermal greenhouse in Iceland when you should be shopping in Reykjavik. Almost as if the purpose of a trip is to shop, eat and sit around rather than exploring the place you have chosen to visit.
Or one of my favourites, you could be lying on the beach all day in any number of locations instead of visiting historical sites. though having said that TA can be very useful for discovering places to visit-that is within in a particular area-their attractions reviews usually include a very wide range of options regardless of whether they fit the shop, eat and lay around concept.
RS
I used their forum and guidebook for a recent trip to Iceland and found them very useful, especially maps, walking tours and extensive details.
LP
I have used them for advance itinerary planning for several trips, sometimes good other times not so much. As with some other sites, the replies seem to be more focused on what hotel or accomodation will you use, where will you eat rather than this is a list of unique things to do and places to see in this location.
Fodors
I have had some great advice and as many have said more friendly and more likely to pay attention to my own slightly 'geeky' interests when suggesting places to visit and things to do.
In general
I wish that those who answer questions on all travel forum sites would pay more attention to the information provided by the OP. (Of course that is if info is provided) when I say I have driven close to 100,000km on both sides of the road, on highways and one lane tracks, in locations from the Rockies to Scotland, Arizona to Iceland, in snow, torrential rain, 100 F heat, please don't tell me that your roads are somehow completely different.
Old Sep 19th, 2019, 08:07 PM

It's been mentioned by TA can't be judged on any one sub forum. Each one has it's own culture related to the regulars. I would say most of what you've felt is the opposite of the forums I frequent there. You might still find them judgemental but in the opposite direction.
Old Sep 23rd, 2019, 09:59 AM

I've been through all travel fora: LP Thorn Tree on and off since 2000, Virtualtourist for a few years, TA and Rick Steves in the last couple of years and my conclusion is that Fodor's is by far the most mature and tolerant of all, liberal in the original sense of the word. It's only a pity that it's the least frequented of all.