Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Travel Topics > Travel Tips & Trip Ideas
Reload this Page >

7-8 Day Itinerary - Which country to go to?!

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 23rd, 2018, 02:02 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi all!

I am needing country suggestions to visit in September. My boyfriend cant take much time off work so we are looking at a 7-8 day trip.
We are stumped where to go though! We want some relaxation (maybe beach time) but also a good mix of culture and food.
I have already been to France, Belgium, Germany, Netherlands, Mexico & Thailand, but my boyfriend has never been outside the US.

Any suggestions!? We were originally thinking, Spain, Greece, or possibly somewhere in South America. Help!
Old Feb 23rd, 2018, 02:58 PM

Croatia and Slovenia. Slovenia is my favorite country at the moment. Croatia is much more touristy especially along the coast, and it won't be dead even in September.

With only 7-8 days, you will probably have to limit yourself to Slovenia and northern Croatia (Istria and/or Plitvice Lakes National Park, perhaps Zagreb) - or just Croatia - say Zagreb to Plitvice to Split to Dubrovnik. Or just Split to Dubrovnik with an island stop (Hvar or Korcula) in between.

You can find my past trip reports by clicking on my name. Also, go on YouTube and dig up the Rick Steves shows for Slovenia and Croatia
Old Feb 23rd, 2018, 07:49 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Portugal. Lisbon plus the Algarve or Atlantic coast, or Porto plus the Atlantic coast. One of my favorite countries. The Algarve is very popular with European tourists, and Lisbon is more popular than it used to be, so go soon.
Old Feb 26th, 2018, 12:50 PM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
I would start with listing places you can get the best flights to (nonstop if at all possible).

For me, 7-8 days would not be enough time to make it worth the flight to Buenos Aires (for example) from Seattle.

Are you east coast or west coast US located?
Old Feb 27th, 2018, 07:50 AM

Received 17 Likes on 4 Posts
If you've already been to Thailand, why not try Australia or maybe Fiji?
Old Feb 27th, 2018, 10:41 AM
Original Poster

I am in California, so flying out of LAX or SF most likely.

Loving all these ideas! Anyone been to Greece? Was it difficult to get around there? Too pricey?

Thanks!
Old Feb 27th, 2018, 12:55 PM

Greece is not expensive. The KTEL buses are excellent. For the islands you take ferries, more plentiful in the summer.
Old Feb 28th, 2018, 01:30 PM

Again for me I come back to the short duration of the trip. From the west coast I'd choose some place in Mexico or Hawaii or even Central America where the flights would be shorter, the time change less significant.

You lose a day getting anywhere in Europe, so you are paying a lot of money, and going a long way, for a very short time on the ground once you get there!
Old Mar 1st, 2018, 04:17 AM

Suze make so much sense. Why waste precious time travelng when you could spend it being someplace, so the shortest flights possible to a place you like would be good.

Southern coastal Spain has everything you asked for, even beaches.
Portugal. I have only researched for future trips myself, but seems a bit like Spain in what it offers to a visitor.
Costa Rica. Also only researched, but seems really interesting.
Hawaii has everything you asked for and is so beautiful
Canada. Americans often don't consider it for a vacation. It will already be cool in September, but is a very interesting country with some unique cities.
Old Mar 1st, 2018, 11:01 AM

I don't disagree with any of the good suggestions above. But leaving from west coast USA, if I were going to Greece, or really anywhere in Europe, certainly Thailand and SE Asia... I want at least two weeks, three or four would be better.
Old Mar 2nd, 2018, 09:29 PM

For 7-8 days Itinerary I think its better to visit any one of the following list of places Rio de Janeiro, Sao Paulo, Porto Seguro in Brazil, Cusco, Lima in Peru, Bogota in Columbia, Mendoza in Argentina etc... as they are very beautiful and interesting places to visit and to enjoy your vacation.
Old Mar 8th, 2018, 11:52 PM

A few other ideas:

1. Costa Rica
2. Quito for a couple days, then a few days in the Galapagos
3. The Azores
4. Mexico- Tulum and Isla Mujeres (for swimming with whale sharks )
Old Mar 18th, 2018, 10:00 AM

From California, I'd look at Peru. September should be decent weather. Not much of a beach destination since the water is cold and the food and culture are highlights.

For most people September would not be the best month for Galapagos. I think it is one of the months with roughest seas..however if that interests do a little more research. Rates may be lowest at that time but it's still a costly trip. You will lose quite a bit in travel time also.

Colombia is another possiblility although I don't think there are nonstop flights. September should be outside the main rainy season. You can combine beach and mountains with an internal flight. It is an inexpensive destination and other than some of the tour ship destinations such as Cartagena isn't heavily touristed.

Last edited by mlgb; Mar 18th, 2018 at 10:07 AM.
Old Mar 18th, 2018, 11:46 PM

If he doesn't mind the additional bit of travel; Spain for 7 - 8 days is actually a great idea. And if you are able to save the date and get there by, say, August 28 you could even catch the La Tomatina Festival. Just my two cents
Old Mar 19th, 2018, 07:19 AM

I suggest Japan . People there are really kind but the hotels are expensive .
Old Mar 19th, 2018, 07:26 AM

the hotels are expensive
Not if you stay in Toyoko or Dormy Inns. You need to do some research.
Old Mar 19th, 2018, 02:51 PM

I agree with suze~save Europe for a longer trip, and maximize your vacation time by staying on this side of the world. Costa Rica would be a great destination~you've got beaches, rainforests, culture, and flight times can be under eight hours from San Francisco to San Jose, depending on which flight you choose.
Old Mar 25th, 2018, 08:18 PM

Just to be different from the usual trips, I suggest you take him to a once-in-a-lifetime vacation to Kenya or Tanzania in Africa! Getting a visa is easy so you won’t have any problem with that. Plus, it has a scenery that’s just beyond compare Make it a memorable one for your boyfriend and for you as well. There are so many exciting things to do and see in there. The best thing is, you’re leaving on September and that’s a perfect time to see the Great Wildebeest Migration. I attached an article that talks all about it here. If you want to add a beach holiday after your safari, you can also head to the beaches. Trust me, this is an experience you wouldn’t want to miss! Let me know if you need help. I can give more detailed suggestions as I just went there myself with my family and it was amazing!!
Old Apr 14th, 2018, 08:37 AM

Ireland!!

Fly into Dublin, depart from Shannon. Stay a day then get a car and start driving.

B & B's run around $100 per night per couple though there are some exquisite castles and manor houses to stay in, if you can splurge.

Head to Glendalough in the Wicklow Mountains, Killarney and Kenmare, RIng of Kerry, Dingle Peninsula, Doolin for Cliffs of Mohr, up to Galway and Connemar and then to SHannon.

Check Norwegian Air. I found round trip flights under $300 from Providence, RI Airport.

I am doing this trip for 6 nights. This will be my 4th trip to Ireland in 10 years. Love it! People are great. Live music in the small town pubs. Gorgeous scenery.

Last edited by LindaBrinck; Apr 14th, 2018 at 08:38 AM. Reason: more info