what to wear to a tango show in BA?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 12th, 2009, 04:50 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Is it appropriate to wear nice jeans and a sweater to a tango show, or would we be more appropriate to dress up a bit? We don't want to take clothes we will only wear once, but don't want to be under-dressed. And how about the nice restaurants? Thanks for any tips.
Old Aug 12th, 2009, 08:59 PM

We went to Cafe Tortoni which was a casual sort of place and most of the audience was casually attired so a sweater and jeans would be fine although i don't know if this is the case for the more "formal" places. As for nice restaurants, there are loads to choose from. I suggest you use the search box (above right) or try and narrow it down abit by specifying location cuisine etc...
Old Aug 13th, 2009, 05:43 AM

It all depends... on your version of "nice" restaurant ... and your age..

Some trendy places , you can wear jeans and good shoes and a nice top ..

If you are not a young'un in jeans and high heels, you might want to dress a little more nicely for the really nice restaurants.

Cafe Tortoni is casual, some of the other shows are like any Dinner Show where people get all dressed up ..

Personally, I skip wearing jeans and go for black .. I do that in Paris and whenever I travel and it works better than blue jeans when trying to pack a little clothing for a lot of occasions.
Old Aug 13th, 2009, 06:25 AM
Original Poster

thanks for the responses. I usually opt for black jeans, so will do so this trip also!
Old Aug 13th, 2009, 07:55 AM

Hello,

It completely depends on what you're looking for, if you want to go to the more classic tangos such as El Viejo Almacen, Boca Tango or La Ventana, then you need to dress up more than jeans and a sweater... Personally I would recommend one of these that way you'll have a more memorable experience! At these places you can also have really good food, its usually something traditional like steak and the wine is excellent! There are lots of packages for tango and dinners, so thats worth considering... but generally you dont need to dress up for dinner, restaurants are usually quite casual over here!

Enjoy yourselves!
Old Aug 13th, 2009, 08:52 AM

We loved La Ventana, Tortonni and another (over a couple of years) and HATED EL VIEJO ALMACEN ! You can read my February 2009 Trip Report about it. We are not young, and I agree with the above posters: if you go to Tortonni, relaxed attire, otherwise, a step up for nicer venues. Have a great trip. ~MarnieWDC