Argentina & Uruguay in 8-9 days?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 24th, 2011, 12:13 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My husband and I are thinking of a 10 day trip to Argentina at the end of May (around Memorial Day weekend in the US). Based on my limited research thus far, we want to see Buenos Aires and Iguaza Falls, of course. Other contenders are El Calafate, staying at an estancia, doing a glacier tour, and may be a day trip to Uruguay (this is what I've read). We are not really into wine so Mendoza is not something I've included. But should I include Salta? We like meeting locals and enjoy outdoor activities, in case this will help you with your recommendations!

So here are my questions:
1) What do you recommend we definitely do not miss in Argentina? Did I list anything in my brief list that we can omit?
2) What will the weather be like at the end of May? I know winter will be right around the corner but will it be cold already?
3) If it is cold, will it be too cold to do the glacier tour? It sounds like an amazing experience but we want to make sure it will be enjoyable too (although it would have to be pretty cold for us to go all the way there and not do it, I think).
4) Should we include Uruguay in this trip?
5) We are planning on flying in and out of BA but any other advice on this to accommodate everything we want to see?

Thanks in advance for your help!
Old Mar 24th, 2011, 01:08 PM

Buenos Aires and Iguazú are good choices.

A day trip to Colonia, Uruguay, may be nice.

A short stay at an estancia not too far from BA may also be a good idea.

I would skip our South, at that time of the year. Try to visit our South between Dec. and March.

Salta, in our NW, is another possibility, but I feel too much time would be spent in travel, considering the length of your stay.

It should not be too cold in BA in late May.

Have a great time in our country.
Old Mar 25th, 2011, 01:10 AM

As usual great advice from avrooster with which I concur entirely. Much as I love Salta, you do not really have enough time to do it justice. BA is a great city and Iguazu defies description and is definitely worth a couple of nights so you can take in the Brazilian side of the falls which offer a completely different perspective.

We didn't make it to an estancia but wish we had. Colonia is great and is maybe worth a day of your time. Some photos on our blog
http://www.travelpod.com/travel-blog...ai/1/tpod.html

Entries #82 and 85 cover Iguazu and Colonia.

Apart from the usual sights in BA, a train ride out to the Tigre delta makes a nice diversion fronm the urban environment.

Have a great time it is a wonderful country.
Old Mar 25th, 2011, 10:24 AM

i agree a nice day out should be a train ride to TIGRE combined with a sightseer boat or
catamaran trip in the Delta.
Old Mar 25th, 2011, 11:39 AM

BA - good choice
Also agree that you do TIGRE/delta and Colonia (take the high speed Buquebus ferry!)