Traveling to Buzios alone...

Jan 20th, 2014, 05:46 AM
Original Poster

Traveling to Buzios alone...

Hi everyone,
I am planning on meeting up with my friends in Rio. I will stay two more days after their leave and would like to see the Buzios. I am female and can't speak Portugese. Has anyone traveled and stayed in Buzios alone? Would you recommend it, is it safe getting there and getting around in Buzios? Any recommendations?
Jan 20th, 2014, 12:44 PM

It is safe, but you have to take your safety precautions like everywhere else.

There are some locals who speak english, but I highly recommend you bring at least a portuguese phrase book.

I would stay at a hostel if I were you. Chances are you'll meet someone who speaks english too. "Che Lagarto" is very popular among foreigners and "Su Casa" among locals.
Jan 21st, 2014, 02:49 AM
Original Poster

Thank you for the reply. Do you advice me to take the 1001 service bus or going there with an Agency? I am open to any kind of advice recommendation
Jan 21st, 2014, 04:07 AM

Taking the 1001 bus is pretty easy and much cheaper (I suppose) than going with an agency. I usually suggest the latter only if you are in a hurry coming from the airport. Please note that you take it from the bus terminal, not from the airport.

However, I noticed from your posts in another thread that you're coming on wednesday or thursday after carnival. If you do not buy tickets in advance, it may be sold out because demand remains very high until march 8th (sunday).

1001 website asks for your CPF number when filling the registration form. However, it seems that foreigners somehow may buy tickets with their passports:

http://www.autoviacao1001.com.br/web...0110506002.htm

Don't know how does it work. I suggest you try to contact them and ask how to register without a CPF number:

http://www.autoviacao1001.com.br/web...ntato_form.htm
Jan 21st, 2014, 05:59 AM
Original Poster

Thank you for the quick reply. Yes you are right, I am spending the carnival in rio with my friends and then they probably be working on thursday and friday thats why I have to go to Buzios by myself. So I should buy my ticket quickly as you said. I do not know what the CPF number is but I'll take a look at the website to see what is needed.
By the way are you living in Rio? Never been in Carnaval before. I went to Rio once 4 years ago and I didnt come across with any problem but now in the forums I am reading pretty bad stuff. People are saying due to the World Cup and Olympic Games, the safety issues have gotten worse! How can it be possible? I would suggest the opposite? Do you have an info about this? Should I avoid Rio?
Jan 21st, 2014, 11:24 AM

Born and raised in Rio, currently living with my wife in Niterói (13km from Rio), which I highly recommend as a day trip by the way (however, the best Carnaval is still in Rio).

I did not find the safety has gotten worse from 4 years ago, it is still as bad as it used to be. However, not as bad as you'll see in newspapers and TV, which exaggerates it. I'm pretty sure it will be safer when World Cup or Olympic Games take place because governors are hypocrites who sweep the dust under the rug. This is how it worked when the Pope visited us.

As long as you take your safety precautions, avoid dangerous places and stick to touristic places, I believe you'll be safe. These are the same tips I usually follow everywhere. Here are a few extra safety tips:

- Avoid walking alone. You do not have to be paranoid with this, especially in Buzios, but it is better to be with someone else.

- Do not use a DSLR camera or any expensive electronic item in public (inside public buses as well), unless you are inside touristic places such as Corcovado, Pao de Açucar (Sugar Loaf), etc. I find this very important. Use a compact camera or cell phone to take pictures, but try not to overdo it.

- Do not use expensive jewels.

- Avoid making calls from expensive cell phones in public. If you need to use it, go inside somewhere safe. This is not mandatory, most of the time locals do not follow this advice, but mobile phone robbery or theft may be an issue.

- Do not leave valuables like passports inside your purses or bags, use a moneybelt. Try to dress like locals, dress code is usually informal and this is especially true in Carnaval.

Last but not least, this is not about safety, but remember that there is a high chance of VERY hot weather in march. Do not forget your sunblocks and light clothes.
Jan 22nd, 2014, 06:21 AM
Original Poster

Thank you so much for your replies. I'll try to go to Niterói as well. I hope it will be still hot in March