The Unpleasant Goo Scam

Search

The Unpleasant Goo Scam

Search this Thread

Old Feb 26th, 2010, 12:37 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The Unpleasant Goo Scam

A friend who is well-traveled and a Fodors poster was recently caught in this scam in BsAs. She had not read the earlier posts about it here, or on TA, so I thought it would be useful to repeat it today - for current and future visitors.

This scam occurs in BsAs, particularly on weekends and in quiet areas near tourist sites - and in many larger cities around the world.

An unpleasant, gooey substance (like bird droppings, mustard, or something indescribable) is splotted on your back (may even be dropped from above by an accomplice) and then a well-dressed man or woman, or both, run up with water, and handy paper or cloth, to help clean if off of you.

WATCH OUT ! This is where their hands are quicker than your eyes. Your pocket will be picked, or your zippers opened, to grab your camera, telephone, purse or wallet. They are really good at what they do - so being forwarned and being prepared if this should happen to you is essential. JUST SAY NO ! Shout ! - HOLD ONTO YOUR ZIPPERS (not that one, the purse zipper) and your pockets and REFUSE THEIR HELP !

They will go away if you are not a willing victim, and then you just need to clean yourself.

This does not happen often, but often enough to know about and so be alert and self-protective. It has never happened to me in 3 long trips here.

Have a safe and fun time in wonderful BsAs.,

~MarnieWDC
Old Feb 26th, 2010, 12:52 PM

dup
Old Feb 26th, 2010, 01:02 PM
Original Poster

I have no idea what 'dup' means. ~M
Old Feb 26th, 2010, 02:09 PM

Neither do I. dup??????????

When I saw this thread's title, I said to myself: "Don't tell me Marnie or her DH got caught by this trick!"

I was quite relieved, when I saw it was someone else. LOL!!!

I have posted a zillion times warning about this.

Our cops call them "los mostaceros", which could be roughly translated as "the mustardeers". They say they can't do much about it, which is pure, unadulterated u no what.
Old Feb 27th, 2010, 05:02 AM
Original Poster

Thanks, AV.

And Welcome Back ! to you and your lovely DW.

~M
Old Feb 27th, 2010, 11:00 AM

I am sorry this happens in my country...
Old Apr 19th, 2010, 10:39 AM

Thanks Marnie, I missed this post. I was happily still in Buenos Aires when you wrote it, and I guess I was not finding time to check Fodors!
Old Apr 19th, 2010, 12:10 PM

Be also aware of the money or key scam.
I think this happened to the family who just traveled to France (someone chase them asking if they dropped some money)

In Mar del Plata, Argentina a guy came to me and said are these your keys and distracted me from my car, while the other guy was getting his hand inside and stealing my fanny pack with, passports, money, pictures and camera. I couldn't shake the guy who kept saying "are these your keys", in a matter of 2 mins they got everything and got me stuck in Mar del Plata for 7 days while I got new papers for my car and a new passport.
Old Apr 19th, 2010, 12:55 PM

The trick of spraying you with something and then offering to clean you off as they clean you out is by no means limited to Argentina. I have heard of it here in Chile and also as far away as London. It does not limit itself to any particular country. It must be a trick that works often enough for them to keep doing it.
Just beware of any distraction: something on your back, someone shoving something in your face, old men falling over your luggage at the bus station, someone dropping a lot of coins at your feet. It is perfectly acceptable to be rude to anyone who invades your space. Yelling at them in any language usually works. If they act offended you were probably right in thinking they were up to no good.
Old Apr 19th, 2010, 07:08 PM

Better to offend some innocent klutz than to become a victim of cime - away from home no less.
Old Apr 19th, 2010, 11:04 PM

Totally agree with the comments made by Huenteu especially "It is perfectly acceptable to be rude to anyone who invades your space". The last thing pickpockets /muggers etc. want is attention drawn to themselves - if in doubt shout - LOUD! Better to offend an innocent stranger than the alternative.
This happens all over the world and and is not limited to Argentina. The best defence to avoid such occurences is to not overtly look like a tourist (not always easy I know!) and to look as confident as you can and have a good idea of where you are going in advance(study maps in advance). If there are two or more of you and you need to stop for any reason to say, get something out of a bag/use an ATM then the other person should always keep an eye out for potential ne'er do wells!

As for the "dup" comment by a previous poster, I could be wrong but maybe they meant to type "duh" (as in the Simpsons)denoting surprise that peole had not heard of this before (perhaps QV will enlighten us?)
Old Apr 20th, 2010, 01:44 AM

Three minutes after asking above "dup??????????", I realized it meant the post had been repeated and posted saying so.

See the thread with the same title I have sent to the top.