Suggestions required for revised itinerary and safety issues

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 28th, 2011, 05:27 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We are a couple in our 50's, avid travelers, but first time to South America. We like architecture, culture, natural beauty, famous monuments etc. Not much of the museum or beach loving kind. Planning a trip to Brazil in December 2011.

I had posted a thread here some months ago, about a suggested itinerary for Brazil. Received lots of great suggestions, as usual. After researching through the options in detail, I have come up with the following revised itinerary for Brazil.

Day 1 : Fly into Rio, reaching late evening; night at Rio
Day 2 : Rio
Day 3 : Rio
Day 4 : Rio
Day 5 : Rio
Day 6: Fly to Iguacu Falls in morning, reaching by noon; night at Iguacu
Day 7 : Iguacu Falls
Day 8 : Fly to Salvador early morning, reaching at 10 am: night at Salvador
Day 9 : Salvador
Day 10: Salvador
Day 11: Salvador
Day 12: Fly to Manaus in morning, reaching at 1pm; night at Manaus
Day 13: Start 3-day Riverboat Trip on Amazon
Day 14: Riverboat on Amazon
Day 15: Return to Manaus by evening; night at Manaus
Day 16: Fly early morning to Sao Paulo, reaching at noon; night at Sao Paulo
Day 17: Catch evening flight back to home

We cannot afford to extend the trip duration any more. This gives us 4 full days in Rio, almost 2 days at Iguacu Falls, 4 full days at Salvador, enough of an experience at the Amazon, and one day at Sao Paulo.

My questions are :
1. Have been reading a lot about safety issues at Rio (recommendations about never to carry one's camera etc). Is it really that bad ? If we observe basic sense to avoid deserted areas etc, are we still in a lot of danger ? Do we need to have a local guide at all times ?

2. Seems that there is so much to see in Rio, that I doubt if time will permit a daytrip to anywhere else. Is there any "must-see" daytrip from Rio ? Is Petropolis really worth it ?

3. What are some good recommended daytrips from Salvador ? What about Cachoeira & Sao Felix ? Or Praia do Forte or Imbassai or Itaparica ? We want to avoid any overnight trips as that would involve too much of shifting around. Given our time constraints and our travel preferences (stated above), which daytrips would you recommend ? Definitely need some time in Salvador also, as I hear it is very nice.

4. We definitely want to experience the Amazon. Researched the possibilities of staying in a jungle lodge, and doing short trips out of there versus staying completely on a riverboat for 2N/3D . The latter seems more adventurous and enticing. Any recommendations about one versus the other ?

As per present plans, the trip would start on Dec 16th, and end on 1st January. We are likely to be at Salvador during Christmas, and at Sao Paulo on New Year's Eve. Anything to look out for on those dates ?

Thanks in advance, and please do help out with this planning.
Old Aug 29th, 2011, 05:59 AM

"My questions are :
"1. Have been reading a lot about safety issues at Rio (recommendations about never to carry one's camera etc). Is it really that bad ? If we observe basic sense to avoid deserted areas etc, are we still in a lot of danger ? Do we need to have a local guide at all times ?"
Most tourist crime in Rio is opportunistic. You don't need a guide, but you need to remain vigilant at all times. Using your camera on the ticketed tourist heights (the Christ, Sugarloaf) is OK, but in other locations, take your photo while your travel partner watches around you and put the camera away in an unassuming bag immediately after. Many tourists, from reports, have difficulty telling safe areas from unsafe; foe example, rundown doesn't necessarily mean unsafe and vice-versa.

"2. Seems that there is so much to see in Rio, that I doubt if time will permit a daytrip to anywhere else. Is there any "must-see" daytrip from Rio ? Is Petropolis really worth it ?"
Spend your time IN Rio. There's plenty to keep you busy. With such little time,IMO, give Petropolis a miss.

"3. What are some good recommended daytrips from Salvador ? What about Cachoeira & Sao Felix ? Or Praia do Forte or Imbassai or Itaparica ? We want to avoid any overnight trips as that would involve too much of shifting around. Given our time constraints and our travel preferences (stated above), which daytrips would you recommend ? Definitely need some time in Salvador also, as I hear it is very nice."

Salvador is great. Read a bit of www.bahia-online.net to help plan. The city beaches, like Porto da Barra and Itapua, are lively and fun.
Itaparica is an easy ferry ride, but try to get there for high tide. Try Ponta de Areia beach for a taste of the rural life on the island. (You will be solicited by bus drivers as you exit the ferry.) The mentioned resort beaches to the north are expensive and built for tourists. Try Guarajuba, a gorgeous beach with vacation houses for Brazilians, or take a day tour that goes to Praia do Forte and Guarajuba and stops at some other beaches along the way.
As for Cachoeira/Sao Felix, 2 hours by bus through the lush interior, it is an old, crumbling, tranquil river port with some Colonial architecture, the Irmanidade, the cigar factory and not much else unless there is some festival going on. I like being there for the packed forro festival at Sao Joao in June or for the interesting religious festival the Irmaidade does in August.
I also think that going to Morro do Sao Paulo on the ferry/bus/boat route gives you a nice look at the lush interior, a typical interior town (Valenca), and the nice beaches in Morro itself. Perhaps worth an overnight, IMO, but maybe 4 or so days in Salvador itself is better, under the circumstances.
Have a great trip.
Old Aug 29th, 2011, 06:56 AM
Original Poster

Thanks a lot Equestrian, that was really the kind of advice I was looking for.

Waiting for others to give their point of view also. Please please do respond and assist.
Old Aug 30th, 2011, 06:28 PM
Original Poster

Was really hoping for more responses please. Still waiting...
Old Aug 31st, 2011, 08:27 AM

Try posting on the other Brazil travel forums then. They each have a different character and, although some folks post to multiple ones, a somewhat different cast of contributors.
Old Sep 1st, 2011, 02:33 PM

great tips by Equestrian!

Giving my hints on what has been left unanswered:

4. Amazon
While the idea of taking a river cruise may sound much more fun than a jungle lodge, I would say the experiences are not that different, since 90% of the daily tours at the lodges are made on small boats, so you're always navigating on the river, so consider if it's worth the usually higher price. If so, go for the Clipper cruises (regular and premium) rather than the Iberostar, as Clipper uses local boats that will give the trip the right atmosphere! On jungle lodges, Amazon Ecopark (3 star) and Anavilhanas Jungle Lodge (4 star - best available) are great bets!

5. Not sure if there's anything special going on on Xmas in Salvador, as Brazilians take it much more as a family get together. Maybe your hotel will organize a Xmas dinner?

On SP, try to book a hotel in Jardins area, so that you can explore the best attractions, bars and restaurant on foot or short taxi rides. For New Years there is a massive outdoor party/concerts with firework show at Avenida Paulista which may be fun checking out, but I would recommend researching on private parties if you are not fan of crowds.

Have a great trip!
Sao Paulo aficionado, but always thinking about the next destination. Founder of Checklist Turismo (www.checklisttur.com.br)
Old Sep 1st, 2011, 08:51 PM

Are you the same poster who is asking here too?:
http://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic..._of_Bahia.html
Assuming so, in that case, i will reply here also to that.
First of all, change your hotel. The Praca de Se is noisy and busy all the time, full of touts and beggars. Bad choice IMO, no matter how nice it's been fixed up inside and how good the price might be (which it doesn't actually seem to be). Try the Estrela do Mar in Barra, quite nice, out in the quieter residential beach neighborhood, but only 10 minutes from Pelourinho by bus, or a nice stroll through the shady Corridor de Vitoria with its museums and then through the colorful local shopping district. Experience the famous sunset at nearby Porto da Barra beach.

"We are interested in culture, architecture, monuments and natural beauty. Not particularly fond of beaches, except to just have a look around at some pretty ones, and do people watching, sunset watching etc."
The site www.bahia-online.net is a good introduction to what Salvador has to offer. See the Pelourinho, ride the Elevador and shop the Mercado Modelo, take a bus out to the Bonfim Church and walk a bit of the neighborhood to Mont Serrat fort afterwards and have a beer with the locals at the beach there. Eat at the Senac cooking school in Pelourinho to sample traditional regional fare. Go to Rio Vermelho at night to hang out on the praca with the locals and eat acaraje. Lots of little music clubs too there. Listen to as much music as you can find.

"What would you recommend we do during these 4 days ? Anything special to expect on Christmas day anywhere ? And which day trips to take ? Itaparica sounds good, as does Cachoeira & Sao Felix. Which one to select, or both?"
Itaparica is an easy day trip by ferry, but the island is very rural and there is really not much to do but sit by the beach and drink. There are excursions by motorized schooner as well, that go to Frades island to swim, snorkle, or sit on the beach drinking, and then Itaparica to have a big buffet lunch of traditional dishes and see the Itaparica town. Your accomodation can arrange for you to be picked up and dropped off.
Cachoeira (2 hours by bus, nice ride through the interior) is a quiet crumbling old river port with not much going on usually, unless at Sao Joao in late June or the festa the Irmandade celebrates in August, and the cigar factory across the river in Sao Felix. It's a quiet little interior town with Colonial architecture that hasn't been tarted up for tourists.
There's another day trip up the coast (also can be arranged by your hotel) that passes all the beaches with a couple of short stops in scenic places (Abaete, Jacuipe), a stop in Praia do Forte to see the TAMAR turtle preserve briefly, and then back in Guarajuba for lunch and a swim or stroll on one of the most gorgeous beaches around Salvador, before the return to the city.
Not much going on on Xmas day. Everyone is at home with family or at church. Maybe try to experience a mass at Igreja Nossa Senhora do Rosário dos Pretos in Pelourinho.
Have a great visit.
Old Sep 1st, 2011, 11:46 PM
Original Poster

Great suggestions...please keep them coming.

RodrigoPintoSP, we have booked a hotel in the Jardins area, the Mercure Jardins, which has good reviews on Tripadvisor, andis well located. We plan on seeing the New Year Eve festivities on Av Paulista, so the hotel is well located for that.

As for the Amazon region,have heard good things about Swallows & Amazons, and have received a prompt reply from them with a decent quote. Some postings on the travel forums seem to suggest that this outfit has closed down, but I did not get that impression. Any feedback on them ? Will also obtain quotes for Clipper cruise.

Equestrian, yes it is me who has posted a similar thread on another forum, based on your suggestion. I have gone through the website of www.bahia-online.net and it is indeed very informative. I think we have enough things to keep us busy in Salvador for 3 days, with Pelourinho area, elevator, Baixa area (Mercado Modelo and Solar do Unhao), Bonfim church and nearby Monteserrat fort, museums in Vitorio area, the Barra area and Rio Vermelho. Also plan to visit a capoeira school, and watch a folkloric show.

I think we will have time for just one day trip, and I can't still decide between Itaparica + Frades, or Cachoeira & Sao Felix, or Praia do Forte + Guarajuba. Given that swimming on beaches is not a high priority for us, which one would you recomend ?
Old Sep 2nd, 2011, 04:11 AM

Great.
Make sure you take a taxi to Solar de Uniao and wait for one to arrive to take you back. Do NOT walk.
The show at Bale Folclorico in the Pelourinho is a good overview.
You don't necessarily have to visit a capoeira school. There are groups that perform for the public in Pelourinho and behind the Mercado Modelo (and often at the farol in Barra). Just be aware that some (the ones inMercado Modelo) can be a bit aggressive about "donations" for the priviledge of watching. If you are really looking to find a school, I highly recommend the one of Joao Pequeno in the Angola style, located at the fort in Santo Antonio. Take a taxi. There is also the school of Mestre Bimba in Pelourinho.

For the day trip, the considerations might be between 1) a nice boat trip between the islands and a lovely lunch (but a lot of beach sitting between if you don't swim, but there are umbrellas and drinks/food and/or you could hike a bit on Frades)and a short look at hte rural town and famous fountain. 2) a 2 hour bus trip through some pretty countryside to wander around looking at nold buildings
Old Sep 2nd, 2011, 04:23 AM

ooops.....
...old buildings, sitting by the river, crossing the strange metal bridge to see the cigar factory, lunch....well I guess you could make a day of it. See if you can also stop in Santo Amaro on the way and get the next bus on to Cachoeira. Santo Amaro has a good feira, bigger on Friday and Saturday.
3)a lovely look at the coast above the city, all the beaches from a van, with stops at some pretty places for photos, a stop to see the turtles and maybe a few of the chic shops in Praia do Forte, maybe the ruins of an old mansion there in what they call the Mata Atlantica (not really a jungle as they make you believe) and lunch if you wish at a nice restaurant (or one of the beach barracas)next to the prettiest beach inthe area, where you can walk afterwards to collect shells and also look at the luxurious vacation homes.
Hopefully these few more details will help make the decision easier.
Old Sep 2nd, 2011, 04:25 AM

And again, try to change the hotel.
Old Sep 2nd, 2011, 05:52 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the many inputs Equestrian. Had read earlier posts about not walking to Solar de Unhao. Your inputs on capoeira schools are very helpful.

Somehow,with whatever inputs I am getting, the option of a daytrip to Praia de Forte and Guarajuba does not appeal to our tastes. The option of Itaparica + Frades sounds the best. I think we will do for that.
Old Sep 2nd, 2011, 06:01 AM

And regarding the advice elsewhere for Itapua.....
Itapua is a BEACH. The rest of the neighborhood is not very interesting, except maybe at night by the acaraje stands.

Don't worry about missing the Tuesday bencao. It isn't as good now that the city has cut the funding. Just find some good music on other nights, easy enough. Try oneof the little clubs in Rio Vermelho, like Casa Da Mae.

( btw, I actually thought the Praia do Forte trip would be the one that appealed most to you, given what you posted.
Old Sep 4th, 2011, 12:59 PM

My responses to some of your questions are here:

http://www.fodors.com/community/sout...-to-brazil.cfm
Old Sep 6th, 2011, 03:10 PM

Yes, Mercure Jardins has a great location and it's perfect for NY celebrations, good choice! Can't tell you much on Swallows & Amazons, tough.
Old Jun 18th, 2012, 03:30 AM

Not all the places in South America are risky. Not only the country but also the places one is travelling to have to be considered. Check out this article to know about safety concerns in South America http://bit.ly/LI8C3g