Suggestions for a honeymoon in Argentina

Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 19th, 2011, 06:25 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My fiance and I are planning a ~4-week honeymoon in Argentina in December-January. We are planning to spend a good amount of time in Patagonia (Glaciar Perito Moreno, Parque Nacional Torres del Paine, etc.). Additionally, we love animals and nature, and are considering some locales such as Parque Faunistica Peninsula Valdes and Puerto Madryn. If possible, we would also like to spend a few days on the coast (any suggestions?), and possibly visit Cueva de las Manos.

Other possible destinations include Iguazu falls and Easter Island (although we realize the latter is VERY expensive and probably best left to a future trip).

We both prefer low-key travel away from big resorts and nightlife. We are not big drinkers, and we don't generally spend much money on food when we travel. We are generally budget travelers, but since it's our honeymoon we are prepared to splurge a little bit on some romance. We value unique experiences over luxury.

Does anyone have any suggestions for specific hotels or destinations that might fit our interests? We are talking with a friend of a friend who is a travel agent in Argentina, but would love the advice of experienced travelers.
Old Oct 20th, 2011, 05:00 AM

Go a lot just did a 5K roadtrip in SA last fall WONDERFUL!

My favs and some thoughts for you.

Luxury geodesic domed tents in the heart of Torres del Paine National Park, with superb trekking itineraries to suit all levels goglamping.net/americas/ecocamp-patagonia

Iguazu Falls View Sheraton Room www.spg.com

wowargentina.com Bariloche nice Mendoza if a wino...

You have enough time to head up

to boliviabella.com titicacaperu.com

mountainlodgesofperu.com or an AWESOME trek in through

the Sun Gate to Machu Picchu incalandadventures.com

Easter island for me is treeless expensive to get to

skip that Galapagos www.guanguitagua.com ecoventura.com

the most amazing nature in the world 5000 tortoises

on Isabella up to 500 # each an amazing site...

The flightless comourant the blue footed Booby great

white beaches and diving best mature destination in the

world for me ecodense evolution in action.

If you decide for Cusco/MP www.inkanatura.com Manu

WildLife Center the Biosphere Reserve there most exotic

amazon large mammals on the Planet... gets rainy in late

Jan though so do that in December if you go.

weather2travel.com Climate guides

mdtravelhealth.com food water precautions wise

travel.state.gov entry safety

quotewright.com Comp travel insurancee usually Patriot for me

Congrats and happy Planning... Beware many scammers/agents

touting in clever disguises on the boards particularly

TripAdvertizer Galapagos Boards...

Do not be the last one to figure out you have beens scammed

out of thousands on a cruise by the wife of the travel agent

touting as an "expert" over there sanctioned by mods.

Very dysethical and sad but happens a lot over there.

Good rule of thumb always pay with CC never wire money for me

CAREFULLY investigate the profiles of all who "advise" you

for commercial motives particularly

those posting as "experts" they are almost always touts.

Happy Journey and Caveat Emptor...
Old Oct 20th, 2011, 09:51 PM

I would highly recommend your choice of Peninsular Valdes/Puerto Madryn. We spent several days there in Oct 2008. To get so close to the whales was just incredible.We naturally went on a boat trip which was great but the whales also swam really close to the beaches and visit the pier in the town regularly around 1.00pm each day. However, do check out the season as they are not there all year round.

Iguazu falls are of course spectacular and should definitely be on your itinerary. The best place of all for us was driving around the Salta region in the North West, but again do check the weather at the time you are going.

Some photos an a little more detail on our time in Argentina are on our blog:

http://blog.travelpod.com/travel-blo...ai/1/tpod.html
Old Oct 21st, 2011, 05:14 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the tips!

Crellston, it sounds like you had a great time in Argentina (and all around the world). Did you drive yourself in Argentina? How were the roads?

Dec/Jan is the end of whale season, sadly, but it is the perfect time to see baby penguins!
Old Oct 23rd, 2011, 12:31 AM

TM - Yes we did drive ourselves around. Our main driving trips were the circuit from Salta around the north West (5-6 days) and the Seven Lakes drive from San Martin de los Andes to Bariloche. Both were excellent but Salta was by far the best. At first sight the roads in Argentina are not great with only about 30% of the roads being tarmac - there is a lot of driving on gravel which is not as bad as it sounds as it is mostly compacted and not a whole lot different to driving on tarmac (at least in good weather.

We rented a VW Gol (a but smaller than a Polo) from Hertz and whilst it was lacking in power it got us everywhere we wanted to go mostly without incident. When we first drove up into the mountains to the salt flats at Salineras Grande we thought that there was someting drastically wrong with the car and then realised that teh engine was suffering from the altitude (4500m plus)just as a human being would be affected. We spent the last hour or so in 1st gear! We had intend after that to return via another pass but at 5600m we decided to take a detour!

In all I would highly recommend it as a means of seeing the country as it does provide a huge amount of freedom.

Shame about the whales but the penguins will be worth seeing. Have you considered travelling on down to Ushuaia - we were travelling with some Spanish - Italian friends at the time and they carried on down to Ushuaia and had a great time.
Old Oct 26th, 2011, 04:48 AM

I suggest to consider the NW area in your honeymoon. SALTA and JUJUY provinces offer you some amazing sceneries and great climate, food, which will enrich your experience.
The famous empanadas, the wonderful torrontes wine, the incredible flavours in icecreams and desserts...
Salta, Cafayate, Purmamarca, the salt flats and Tilcara are a must!!!!!
You will not regret if ou include teh magic NW to your plans!!
Flintstones