Santiago to Viña Indómita by bus

Dec 31st, 2018, 03:02 PM
Original Poster

Santiago to Viña Indómita by bus

We liked Chile so much last time that we are going back this February!

Of note we really enjoyed many of the wines we had from Viña Indómita, and this sparked the interest this time to actually go and have lunch at their on site restaurant next to ruta 68. I am looking at doing this by public transportation (bus) and am a little confused. Perhaps I am searching in the wrong places but I seem to recall reading somewhere that one way to get there would be to take a bus to Casablanca (from estación central??? I am not sure which bus line does this route). Then from Casablanca it would appear to be a relatively inexpensive taxi ride to the vineyard itself. This would then be done in the reverse order for the return leg to Santiago.

Is this a reasonable way to get there? Are there (non-driving) alternatives? (we are fluent in Spanish, i.e. no language barrier)
Hopefully their restaurant will not disappoint and won't be too touristy (meaning not overpriced just average food)

Any thoughts would be appreciated. Gracias de antemano.
Jan 5th, 2019, 01:27 PM
Original Poster

From my additional search so far, it would appear that one may take any bus going to Valparaiso and ask the driver to be let off near the Vina Indomita. Not sure how far one would then have to walk. For the return leg, there seems to be a way to flag down buses going towards Santiago once one has made it back to the highway. It is unclear to me if there would also be an official bus stop along such which would be probably even better.

Anyways, that's the point I am at for now !
Jan 9th, 2019, 11:17 AM

The turnoff for the vineyard is near the turnoff for the road to Algarrobo so I think you should be able to get off a bus there. But it is a long walk from that point to the winery itself and you would have to cross the highway. . If you look at their webpage location, just above the big map is a rectangular box with "how to get here". That will give you a closeup of the crossing you would negotiate. It is a longish walk. Returning it would make more sense to get them to call a taxi for you.
About us location, Indómita Vineyard

As for the bus to Casablanca. Not sure there is one which goes into Casablanca. I believe they leave you at the side of the highway. You would then have to walk into the town to get a taxi. But I will have a look around and see if I can find more information. This isn't something I would want to do (being let off at the side of the highway) but I am not adventurous. If I find anything I will get back to you.
Jan 9th, 2019, 11:26 AM

Found this. Apparently buses from San Borja bus station. Hope it helps:
​​​​​​​https://www.travelblog.org/South-Ame...og-835749.html
Jan 12th, 2019, 10:00 AM
Original Poster

I totally agree with you, Huentetu. The sight of the bus pulling off while leaving us stranded on the side of highway 68 is not very comforting. I am also not sure I am comfortable with this option, especially given the hike of a few km we would have afterwards.

That's it !!!!! The link with the buses from San Borja is what I seemed to recall reading 1 or 2 years ago. I was trying to find it again but I somehow managed to miss it altogether. That you so much for your kind persistence, Huentetu. Going to Casablanca and then look for local transportation certainly sounds more palatable. I will definitely look more into this. You are definitely a great ambassador to your beautiful country !

In parallel, I just recently happened to mention to some Chilean friends about our interest in going for lunch at Indomita and they appeared interested in doing this with us as well. If it works out, it would also solve my dilemma as they do own a car. In any case, I do want to keep my options open.

We are certainly looking forward to Santiago as our departure date is looming closer !
Jan 12th, 2019, 10:24 AM

Good news about the friends! Otherwise there is a taxi rank on the plaza at Casablanca. Enjoy your trip!

Search this Thread