Recent Crime Rates in Brazil

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 10th, 2009, 09:56 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I know Brazil has a relatively high crime rate. However, I was wondering if the recent crime rate in Brazil has gone up due to the current economic downturn? I've heard that muggings and violent crimes against tourists have risen recently. I'm planning to travel in Brazil in June, and want to know if I should take extra precaution. I'll be traveling to Rio de Janeiro and the Amazon.

If there are any recent articles regarding the current crime rate in Brazil that you have seen, please let me know. Thanks!
Old Apr 10th, 2009, 12:19 PM

Well, if you read that the crime rate went up recently it's probably because Carnaval was not too long ago. During Carnaval the influx of tourists into Rio is tremendous and as a result crime increases, the petty theft kind.

The two big things that happened recently in Rio was a hostel in Ipanema was taken over by some bandits and everyone was robbed who was staying there, mostly students. The other was not too long after the hostel incident the same thing happened to a pousada in Buzios.
Old Apr 10th, 2009, 01:26 PM

travel.state.gov/travel/cis_pa_tw/cis/cis_1072.html
Old Apr 10th, 2009, 02:25 PM
Original Poster

Thanks. Reading about the crime rates in Brazil is pretty scary. But it's such a beautiful country and I still very much want to go.

Do you think it would be safer to travel in a tour group? Has anyone traveled in a tour group to Brazil? What was your experience and are there any tour groups you recommend?
Old Apr 11th, 2009, 04:36 AM

Tour groups are always safer. As far as bandits are concerned the hostel or pousada was more than likely close to one of the "favelas". These are relatively safe (from police) communities that breed crime and they are all over Brazil. The only real precaution that one can take is to have very little of value on you when walking the streets or beaches. Anything that identifies you as a tourist is a beacon to criminals. I remember a couple of teenagers following me in Sao Paulo until I confronted them and they left or probably had another couple take over. I found that there is other types of crime in Brazil that isn't quite as apparent and could expound via PM if anyone is interested. bsvirginian
Old Apr 12th, 2009, 04:32 AM

We are in Maceio now, in the NorthEast of Brazil. It is a beach side city. Very pretty, great day trips, restaurants, etc. The pace of life is slow and while we know there are some parts of town we likely shouldn't wander, like most every place, the people here couldn't be nicer and there isn't a threat of crime that either we can see or that we have been told about by locals. Brazil is a huge country and there are many destinations you can head to. We have also been to Rio a couple of times and never felt threatened there, though you do need to use common sense. Have fun.
Old Apr 12th, 2009, 07:18 PM

I don't think you need to go on a tour, unless that's how you prefer to travel, but I agree with Tengohambre you need to use common sense and be attuned to your environment.

According to the Economist, Brazil's financial situation is not likely to be as bleak as the US due to a high level of financial regulation, amongst other things:

http://www.economist.com/displayStor...ry_id=13243343
Old Apr 16th, 2009, 04:54 AM

I have found that the best way to deal with this situation is to have a private guide for at least the first couple of days. A good city tour in Rio will give you a chance to get to know the city with a local guide -- who can really give you a good orientation as to what is safe and what is not safe.
A very good guide is priceless for your visit to a large metro area in Brazil.
Jill
www.SouthAmericanEscapes.com/blog