Quito/Galapagos Islands

Old Mar 12th, 2019, 04:00 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Quito/Galapagos Islands

HI all! Heading to Galapagos in April and four of us (2 parents, 2 kids, one 13 years old and one 8 years old) are in Quito from afternoon on the 16th to 18th morning (so not very long), leaving to go to Galapagos on the 18th. So really only 1 day in Quito.

We have a similar issue on the way back, leave Santa Cruz Island in morning of the 28th, fly to Quito and then leave to fly home midnight on May 1. My first question is: where should we stay in the city in both cases? Is it best to stay near the airport or stay in the city and enjoy it? How are taxis getting back and forth to the airport? Are they reliable?

Secondly if you have any recommendations for tour guides you've used for day trips from the Islands (San Cristobal, Santa Cruz or Isabela), please let me know!

Thanks so much!
KD
Old Mar 12th, 2019, 05:16 AM

For your inbound stay I'd probably stay near the airport, because the flights to the Galapagos leave so early in the morning, plus the distinct possibility that the inbound flight will be late or you get held up by long lines at customs. For a first time visitor I think the HOHO bus gives a good orientation.

Then you could do a city stay for the return visit. If you have Marriott points, it's a nice hotel and you don't have to drive through all of Quito's horrible traffic to get onto the main road to the airport.

I've also stayed in the neighborhood where the streets are named after explorers a few times, called "La Colon" (La Rabida is nice) but I don't like the backpacker area south of Cordero which is a magnet for petty theft and some other issues you may not want your children to see. Not sure which hotels work for that many people though.

Taxis work fine, at the airport they are regulated. Going back book through your hotel. I understand Uber started in Quito, but have not used it.

Old Apr 8th, 2019, 06:00 AM
Original Poster

Our flight changed and we don't get in til midnight on our first night (the 16th), leaving again on the 18th. But we won't want to waste the entire day of the 17th hanging at an airport hotel. Will we be able to do a tour from there? Looking at the Wyndham which is the closest to the airport. Thanks!

Old Apr 9th, 2019, 09:37 PM

The time to get from the airport to Central Quito will vary tremendously with the time of day and consequently the traffic. Arriving at midnight, you should be at your hotel in 30-40 mins. Going back in the morning you would need to double that. Personally, I feel the advantages of being in Quito ( restaurant variety, sightseeing etc,) outweighs the possibly very early start on your way back to the airport.

I have never done the HOHO bus but it sounds like a great option. I wouldn’t try to do too much if this is your first time at altitude but an alternative could be to take a trip by the Teleferico up Pichincha Volcano for great views ( the morning would be best as it tends to get cloudy later on). There is also a fun fair at the base station which may be fun for the kids. You cloud follow that with a visit to the old town later on in the afternoon
Old Apr 12th, 2019, 02:07 PM

I assume you have to be at the Quito airport something like 5am(ish) to go through all of the biosecurity and special procedures for Galapagos flights.

You can always ask the Wyndham to arrange taxis to get into Quito and back. I think it's something like $25 each way.(Maybe more if you have to squeeze 4 people in). HOHO bus has a stop catty corner from the upscale QuiCentro Mall, which would be a good place to possible find your own taxi back to the Wyndham, or to arrange a pickup there at a time certain.

The other thing you could do (which I actually hate) but your kids will probably like is the Mitad del Mundo. You can ask at the Wyndam about how to get there.

https://quitotourbus.com/en/location...aciones-unidas

Last edited by mlgb; Apr 12th, 2019 at 02:12 PM.