private transfer Cusco to Puno

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 13th, 2023, 03:18 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

When we travel to Peru, we would like to take a private transfer (rather than fly, take a train or bus) from Cusco to Puno. Has anyone done this before and what company did you use?
TIA!
Old Jan 13th, 2023, 09:21 PM

When are you going? Are you aware of the protests and associated violence happening around Cuzco and Puno? I have no advice on private transfer, but would caution you about making nonrefundable reservations.

Last edited by mlgb; Jan 13th, 2023 at 09:23 PM.
Old Jan 17th, 2023, 11:32 AM

Buses trains and flights are not running at present because of the current unrest/protests/riots. Thirteen killed in Juliaca last week which is they neighbouring town to Puno and where the airport is. There are many road blocks along major roads so I very much doubt you will get anyone to provide a private transfer but knowing the travel industry in Peru, I am sure they will take your money for a reservation though getting it back if you cancel wont be easy.

I have done that trip several times in both directions, by air, by tour bus (stopping along the way at various points of interest) which were fine. We also did it on and overnight. local bus which was a nightmare! Haven't done it by train as that was 10x the cost of the bus, followed the same route but didn't stop any any places of interest. It is 10 hours by tour bus and 6-7 by regular bus.

There are lots of tour operators or agencies in Cusco that may be able to do that trip when things improve but I hesitate to recommend any of them. One organisation that I would recommend and have used a lot myself is www.taxidatum.com . They don't normally run routes like that but may be able to help though I doubt it will be cheap.

Is there any particular reason you only want a private transfer?
Old Jan 17th, 2023, 12:03 PM
Original Poster

Originally Posted by crellston
Buses trains and flights are not running at present because of the current unrest/protests/riots. Thirteen killed in Juliaca last week which is they neighbouring town to Puno and where the airport is. There are many road blocks along major roads so I very much doubt you will get anyone to provide a private transfer but knowing the travel industry in Peru, I am sure they will take your money for a reservation though getting it back if you cancel wont be easy.

I have done that trip several times in both directions, by air, by tour bus (stopping along the way at various points of interest) which were fine. We also did it on and overnight. local bus which was a nightmare! Haven't done it by train as that was 10x the cost of the bus, followed the same route but didn't stop any any places of interest. It is 10 hours by tour bus and 6-7 by regular bus.

There are lots of tour operators or agencies in Cusco that may be able to do that trip when things improve but I hesitate to recommend any of them. One organisation that I would recommend and have used a lot myself is www.taxidatum.com . They don't normally run routes like that but may be able to help though I doubt it will be cheap.

Is there any particular reason you only want a private transfer?
Thank you for your response. Yes, I am aware things are not good in Peru right now. Can I ask what news source you follow to keep abreast of the happenings there as I would like to do so myself, rather than relying on our regular nightly news.
I want the private transfer so that we can be in control of our itinerary and bathroom stops.
Old Jan 17th, 2023, 12:37 PM

I tend to use a variety of sources. Primary online news services like Reuters, AP as well as the Peruvian press (though that tends to be biased one way or the other) and correspondence with Peruvian contacts I have made over the years.

How long the unrest will continue I don’t know but my guess it will carry on in one way or another until elections are held and the results accepted.