Search

Peru or Ecuador

Search this Thread

Old Aug 17th, 2010, 09:31 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Peru or Ecuador

I am planning a 2 week trip in either February or March (depending on what time I can get at work). I had been thinking of Ecuador and so I've been doing all my research. We were interested in checking it out in case we want to spend more time there when I retire, plus it looked like an interesting country to visit. But I have a voucher from Air Canada for 25% discount on a flight (courtesy of them stranding us in Santiago during the quake in February). They fly direct to Lima but not to Quito, so I can't use the voucher for Quito. For those of you who have been to both countries, any words of advice? The AC voucher has to be used by mid-April and I won't have any other opportunities between now and then to use it. I know that the focus of the trip would change - we wouldn't be looking at prospective retirement spots but Peru is on my list of places to see.

I'm all about saving money We're 'frugal' travellers - is one destination cheaper than the other?

Any advice woudl be appreciated. Thanks.
Old Aug 17th, 2010, 11:05 AM

Not a great time to visit Peruvian Andes as it is the height of the rainy season.

But it isn't an expensive place to visit. There are parts of the country that don't get much rain, and well, the Amazon rains all the time...
Old Aug 17th, 2010, 11:19 AM
Original Poster

Rainy season, that's not good. I also just checked airfares between Lima and Cusco (almost $200 CAD one way) and Arequipa and Lima (almost $300 CAD one way). That adds up. I think we may end up going to Ecuador instead.
Old Aug 17th, 2010, 12:48 PM

hi Susan,
Air Canada has a flight from toronto direct to Bogota, Columbia through their star alliance partner which is Avianca. Then you could catch one of the Avianca flights from Bogotoa to Quito direct. I have done the route several times myself. You could look into it, but am not sure how it work with the voucher, if it would be valid!?? That time of year in Galapagos is really hot and a good time for wildlife (like always!), The mainland of Ecuador offers a wealth of traveling opportunities and is fairly inexpensive to travel safely. HOpe this is helpful.
Old Aug 17th, 2010, 01:15 PM
Original Poster

I actually looked into that, but I can only use the voucher to Bogota. Once I added in the fare from Bogota to Quito, I wasn't really saving anything compared to taking another airline. But it's still a possibility - maybe we could spend a night or 2 in Bogota.

I'd love to go to the Galapagos, but it won't be on this trip unfortunately. Don't you just hate budgets?
Old Aug 17th, 2010, 03:48 PM

Check the alternate airlines for Peru,

starperu.com
peruvianairlines.pe
taca.com

LAN has a two tier pricing that dings extranjeros.

Eg Star Peru comes up $128 R/T on random dates in Feb for Q fare.
Old Aug 18th, 2010, 06:09 AM

The nice thing about Ecuador is that it has a little bit of everything regarding climate and ecosystems so you can pack in a lot without needing to travel the long distances you need to cover in Peru. Peru is a little cheaper in general, and Lima is more cosmopolitan than Quito. If you are looking for a relaxing, tranquil vacation, Ecuador is a good choice. If you want cosmopolitan places, and want to visit the Sacred Valley, etc go to Peru.

Hope this helped!
Old Aug 18th, 2010, 05:26 PM

HI Susan,

Yes, budgets can be a bugger! I am sure you ll have a wonderful time. There are plenty of things to do in Ecuador besides Galapagos! Have fun!
Old Aug 18th, 2010, 07:08 PM
Original Poster

Thanks! I'm really excited about Ecuador.
Old Aug 25th, 2010, 07:44 AM

I felt safer in Ecuador than Peru, and I much preferred Quito to Lima -partly climate because Quito is at a relatively high elevation it prides itself on eternal spring---but also prettier to me. Otavalo was interesting, and Lake San Pablo was lovely. I didn't get to Cuenca, but hear good things about it. Well, actually there is a whole lot of the country I didn't see. Have fun planning.