Peru - 11 Day itnerary suggestions

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 19th, 2014, 03:56 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This will be most likely our only chance to visit Peru. So we would like to cover as much as we can. We understand that this will not be the most relaxed vacation but the truth is that we feel more relaxed when we see a lot. Here is what we are planning, need your advise if it can be done. We are debating about Amazon vs. Nazca Lines vs. Colca Canyon. Not sure which would of these would be more satisfying experience. Would love to get your suggestions. Is Amazon tour worth the hype?

Also would love some suggestions on travel agencies that we can contact for this itinerary. Due to the fast pace of this trip, I am not sure if we can do this on our own without huge planning

Day 1. Arrival in Lima

Day 2. Lima Tour

Day 3. Fly to Cusco and do a city tour

Day 4. Day Tour of Sacred Valley

Day 5. Machu Picchu

Day 6. Travel to Puno

Day 7. Lake Titicaca Tour

Day 8. Fly to Iquitos - Amazon Tour

Day 9. Amazon Tour

Day 10. Amazon Tour and Fly to Lima

Thank you!!!!
Old Jan 19th, 2014, 08:39 AM

this is like this a good one
http://perutravelpackage.net/machu-p...ver-tours.html
Old Jan 19th, 2014, 09:58 AM

I am one of the few people around here (I think) who does not mind moving very quickly. But I would like to know where you are staying the night of Day 5. Day 6 could be a long day.
Old Jan 19th, 2014, 10:12 AM
Original Poster

Day 5 night would be in Cusco. Should we stays in Augusta calientes? I was also debating if we should keep 2 days for MP since that is one of the main objectives of the whole trip.
Old Jan 19th, 2014, 10:15 AM

Have you thought about travel time? For instance, on Day 5, you'll have about 3 hours on the train each way (and just a few hours at Machu Picchu). If you are taking the train to Puno, you'll spend 10+ hours on the train on day 6. Even if you are flying, you are spending a fair amount of your vacation in transit. I like to make sure I'm spending substantially more time do/seeing what I went for rather than getting from place to place.

As I see it, you have a day in Lima, half a day tour in Cusco, a day in the sacred valley, a few hours at Machu Picchu, a day at Lake Titicaca, then probably one day and one half day in the Amazon. Is that enough for you to feel happy with this trip to Peru?

I've just planned a totally sort different trip to Peru and got proposals from two companies: escapedtolatinamerica.com and totallylatinamerica.com I thought both gave good proposals, but one fit us much better than the other. I did a fair amount of research on each, and both get good reviews.

Good luck in designing the trip you want to Peru.
Old Jan 19th, 2014, 10:45 AM
Original Poster

Thank you, I really value your opinion and might drop Lake Titicaca or Amazon from our itinerary. The dilemma has been that this is our only chance to be in Peru. We know we will not get an opportunity to come back. We actually prefer it to be fast paced so we can cover more sites. I know it sounds opposite of a vacation.
Old Jan 19th, 2014, 11:26 AM

I think you would enhance your enjoyment of your trip if you dropped either the Amazon or Titicaca. For me it would be the Amazon if only because it warrants at least 3-4 days to make it worthwhile. The itinerary you proposed is certainly fast paced but it also doesn't really give you enough time to see much at all. Travelling from MP direct to Puno just isn't going to work out as you would need to overnight in Cusco in order to get the morning train or Inka Express bus to Puno. I would recommend the latter as you will see far more along the way as you will stop off at 4-5 sites of interest along the way. It is also considerable less expensive than the train.

If you have not been at altitude before you also need to factor in some time to adjust as there is now way of knowing how much you will be affected. The optimum route to allow for this would be to fly into and get a taxi straight to Ollantaytambo or Urumbamba in the sacred valley which are lower than Cusco and a much better place to get used to the altitude. They are also perfect bases from which to explore the SV. You can get the train from Ollantaytambo to Aguas Calientes for Machu Picchu.

From MP you can get the train back to Cusco, spend a night or two there, explore the city before getting the bus to Puno which requires a couple of nights to allow a day on the lake before flying back direct to Lima.

Do not underestimate the the sheer number of amazing sights in and around Cusco and the sacred valley and the time that it takes to get around. I really think that even leaving out the Amazon it would be considered "fast paced" by most people.

It really is quite easy to sort out the logistics oneself but, given the amount you want to pack in, i think you would be wise to seek out a reputable local outfit. http://www.andeantravelweb.com provides unbiased and almost independent information on the various operators in the SV.
Old Jan 19th, 2014, 11:42 AM

I just read your other post in which you said "We are not big enthusiast of nature travel or wildlife." If that is true, cut the Amazon, no question. No reason to go somewhere that doesn't interest you, especially if it means rushing through places that do interest you.
Old Jan 30th, 2014, 09:44 AM

Hi fromvirginia.

I recommend doing something different.

Day 1. Arrival in Lima

Day 2. Lima City Tour

Day 3. Fly to iquitos - Amazon Tour and do a city tour

Day 4. Amazon Tour

Day 5. Amazon Tour and Fly to Cusco and do City Tour

Day 6. Day Tour of Sacred Valley

Day 7. Machu Picchu Tour

Day 8. Bus to Puno