Reload this Page >

Perito Moreno glacier tour vs. Upsala and Onelli boat tour

Old Jan 12th, 2010, 09:57 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello,

I am trying to plan my trip to El Calafate to see the glaciers. I am wondering if any one has input regarding these two tours that can help me decide which to take. They are both full day tours.

Thanks in advance!
Old Jan 13th, 2010, 08:16 AM

We did both of them. The Perito Moreno tour takes you on an excursion where you go by boat to see the glacier, then come back and take a bus to the park viewing area where you spend about an hour above the glacier (there's a cafeteria/restrooms, etc there).

The boat tour takes you by boat to the glaciers, the day we did it, one of the glaciers was blocked by too much ice, so we went back to the Perito Moreno (I was a bit disappointed as the one we missed was the one where the boat docks for a little while). Also, it was totally worth upgrading to the VIP deck.

Anyway, having done both and if you only have a chance to do one, I would do the All Glacier boat tour.

If you have a 1/2 day extra, you could always rent a car and drive to the park yourself to see the Perito Moreno from the viewing stand. It's a very easy drive. I would have done this myself if I had only known how easy it would be.
Old Jan 13th, 2010, 04:33 PM

We did the Perito Moreno glacial hiking tour and would recommend it. We took the boat across the lake, got our gear (crampons) and then spent about an hour or so on the glacier itself which was fabulous. We had a packed lunch with the group and then a stop at the overlook mentioned above. The hike was one of the highlights of our trip.
Old Jan 13th, 2010, 06:03 PM

Going on a trekking tour to the glacier in Feb. What types of clothng do you recommend we take? I'd appreciate any advice.