Search

Patagonia Itinerary

Search this Thread

Old Jun 8th, 2013, 01:01 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Patagonia Itinerary

I am planning a trip to Argentine Patagonia in November or December of this year with 2 others. Our time is limited to about 12-14 days and we would like to hit the highlights of Patagonia.

Our main interests are seeing beautiful scenery, doing day hikes/other outdoor activities, and seeing wildlife. Although we want to this to be an active trip, we are not interested in doing any camping or multi-day hikes.

Right now, we are planning to to fly into Buenos Aires and spending a night or two there, then flying to Ushuaia and doing a cruise on the Beagle Channel and go hiking in Tierra del Fuego National Park. Then we are planning to fly to El Calafate and see/hike on the Perito Moreno Glacier. Then we are planning to take the bus to El Chalten and go hiking around the Fitz Roy area. Then we would return to El Calafate to fly back to Buenos Aires and then home.

I've read that the Valdes Peninsula is great for wildlife, but perhaps otherwise limited in things to do, and that is why we are thinking of traveling to Ushuaia instead. It seems that part of the appeal of Ushuaia for some is that it is "the end of world." Other than its location, do you feel that Ushuaia is worth visiting (at the expense of not seeing other places in Patagonia)? Any recommendations or suggestions for our itinerary would be appreciated!
Old Jun 11th, 2013, 10:35 AM

Valdes peninsular is a great place to see the southern right whales and penguin, but do check to see when they arrive/ depart etc. it is on the opposite coast from Patagonia and took avery long bus journey to get there but IMO was worth it but not sure it is feasible in the time you have. Some details and photos
http://blog.travelpod.com/travel-blo...3240/tpod.html
Old Jun 11th, 2013, 10:06 PM

Christina - What a wonderful trip you're planning. I hope you don't mind asking crellston a question you may also be interested in.

crellston - I loved your photos and trip report of Puerto Madryn.

We're trying to decide on a visit to Punta Tombo vs. Peninsula Valdes. The latter pretty much the same itinerary as yours with the disinterested tour guide

We've only got a full day to spend there. What's your advice? BTW, we will be there in December and I believe you were there in October.
Old Jun 12th, 2013, 02:56 AM

The whales at puerto Madryn were hugely impressive but December is the end of the mating season, but you could be lucky! Seeing them just a few yards off the beach and the town pier was something i will never forget!December is the height of the Magellan penguin breeding season in Punta Tombo ( we didn't make it there, but i met some people who did go and apparently it is impressive, especially if the babies are around).

It is a subjective view, but to me the whales were more impressive, but that said, if they are not there, then you will be disappointed. Seasons change so it may be possible to get an update online as to the current sate of the whales nearer the time. Sept to November is the best time but I did read that the season lasts until mid December . I think the two places are round 180 kms apart, so it would be possible to see both if you have the time, if not, then I think I would go for Punta Tombo.
Old Jun 12th, 2013, 07:16 PM

Crellston - thank you for your response. Punta Tombo will be our choice. Maybe we'll be lucky at the pier, too....

Your blog is fascinating reading!
If I'm correct, you're on the road in SA right now?
Happy trails to you!
Old Jun 15th, 2013, 06:34 PM

Sounds like a wonderful trip. We did a similar one a few years ago, but visited Pen. Valdez instead of your planned Ushuaia.
We loved pen.Valdez and its wildlife - we were there in Nov. We got lucky with calm weather, but just a few days before, the boats could not go out on the sea for the whales fro 2 consecutive days (too windy). So keep that in mind if you only have 1 day there.

Our pictures here http://ioana-mark.smugmug.com/Travel...6955&k=3Rkm6LC

And a TR if you click on my name. Have a great trip!