patagonia and Iguazu

May 5th, 2019, 09:14 PM
ih
Original Poster

patagonia and Iguazu

We are reaching Santiago from London on 12th October. How much time should i plan for connecting to domestic flight after immigration and customs
12th- Santiago to Punta Arenas
13th- day trip to see king Penguins at Tierra Del Fuego
14th- shuttle to hotel las Torres at TDP
15th&16th -TDP
17th- shuttle to El calafate
17th&18th- perito moreno. Will hire a car
18th-late evening flight to BA
19th-morning flight to Iguazu
20th-evening flight to BA
21st- noon flight to London
I have the option of taking the all inclusive package at Las Torres or Tierra Patagonia.
Since my wife is a photographer wanted to know which lodging will provide better opportunities
In Iguazu any suggestion for lodging other than Gran Melia?

Would welcome any suggestion.
May 6th, 2019, 01:46 PM

We stayed at the Belmond on the Brazil side - - fabulous and beautiful hotel ( but I probably wouldn’t bother with just an overnight. )
May 6th, 2019, 10:16 PM

The advantage of the is that it allows early access to the falls and, given that your time in Igauzu is quite tight, it would seem perfect for you. It is a bit of a concrete block but as you will be inside looking out, that shouldn’t be an issue. Given the timings of your flights, I would be inclined to visit the Brazil side of the falls after checking in ( arrange transport in advance) and get an early start the next day for the Argentine side. Some photos and detail of our last trip there on our blog @ https://accidentalnomads.com/2016/09...er-everywhere/ . If you want to do any extras like helicopter trips or boats under teh falls, I would book in advance.
May 7th, 2019, 01:26 AM
ih
Original Poster

Thanks. Which hotel did u stay at?
May 7th, 2019, 08:20 PM

The first time we stayed at the Marco Polo Inn. It was ok but wouldn’t necessarily recommend it if you are looking somewhere upmarket. We were on a very long trip and mainly chose it for its proximity to the bus station and downtown. I can’t recall the name of the place we stayed at a couple of years ago. Something like the Iguazu Bed and Breakfast.

One thing I would advise, if food is important to you, is booking a restaurant in advance. Last time there, the restaurants were booked solid so it was either a question of a long wait or some pretty dire food.
May 9th, 2019, 01:40 AM

We stayed at the Gran Melia (it was previously a Sheraton), the location was fantastic but I can see that the Belmond Hotel das Cataratas is a better hotel. We stayed 2 nights and could have stayed another, were perfectly happy with our choice.
May 13th, 2019, 07:25 AM

If you have not already bought your international ticket, buy both the flight from London and the flight from Santiago to Punta Arenas as one ticket. If you buy them separately and you miss the second flight you will have to buy a new ticket. If you already have the international ticket and are coming BA they arrive early morning. It would be best to look at how many fights there are to PA on your arrival day so you have an alternative if you miss the one you booked. It isn't a good idea to try to connect on 2 separate tickets on the same day anyway and you should leave an overnight between them,but at least 4 hours. Immigration and customs should take about one hour but you need a buffer.

13th- day trip to see king Penguins at Tierra Del Fuego
14th- shuttle to hotel las Torres at TDP
15th&16th -TDP
17th- shuttle to El calafate

Are these shuttles private transportation? From Punta Arenas you take a bus to Puerto Natales and then another bus to TdP. A straight drive would take 5 hours. From Torres del Paine there is private transportation to El Calafate directly from the park which you need to book and pay in advance. Otherwise it is bus back to Puerto Natales and another bus to El Calafate.