Search

Packing for 2.5 months in Buenos Aires

Search this Thread

Old Sep 5th, 2016, 11:59 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Packing for 2.5 months in Buenos Aires

Hi everyone,

I'm (31/F) leaving for Argentina next week and will be in BA for around 2.5 months (with trips to Uruguay, Chile and Patagonia). I'm wondering if anyone could offer any pointers regarding packing - I haven't ever been to Argentina at this time of year. From looking at the current temps, it seems to be in the low twenties already - hotter than I was expecting. A few people I've met from BA tell me they're expecting an early summer this year. I guess there is no point in taking any winter footwear then, such as ankle boots? I was considering taking smart sneakers (Adidas Gazelles), some comfortable flip- flop style sandals, ballet flats and maybe a pair of decorative sandals...would this be appropriate for mid-September-late November? Would it be essential to take hiking boots for the possible trip to Ushuaia? At what point does it generally become 'beach weather'? Any pointers very gratefully accepted!
Old Sep 6th, 2016, 07:45 AM

Since no one else is chiming in I'll give my 2 cents' worth. With that much time and the option of travel within the region, I'd pack for everything but still keep it in a carryon-sized bag. You can pick up a few items there - cute sandals and a nice dress would make great souvenirs. Pack some sort of low hiker, older tennies, or Keen sandals for adventures, flip-flops that work for beaches and showers but also with skirts (I like Teva Olowahus), and light layers.

My generic Latin America packing list is #14 on this FAQ thread:
https://www.lonelyplanet.com/thorntr...ica-branch-faq

Since posting it 11 years ago I've added an older, unlocked iPhone and an iPad mini but otherwise the list still serves me well. Happy trails!

PS Great light packing resources:
www.onebag.com
https://www.ricksteves.com/travel-tips/packing-light
Old Sep 9th, 2016, 03:50 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for replying! Yes, I intend to travel within the region and do a number of activities, which makes packing a little more complicated, particularly when it comes to shoes! I will definitely use the packing list, thanks!
Old Sep 10th, 2016, 04:59 AM

Here is a link to my packing list for six months in South America.
https://accidentalnomads.com/2016/05...ck-like-a-man/

My wife will eventually get a around to posting hers but basically it is similar (apart from the obvious). Shoes are the most important. I just took a pair of Keen hiking shoes ( not boot) and hiking sandals and that was all I needed.

All goes in a Lowe Alpine TT40L Carryon. Most airlines and all have accepted it as carry on even though it was over the weight limit.

Just found this site on a thread on the Fodors Asia forum which seems pretty good for weather http://www.whereandwhen.net/when/sou.../buenos-aires/
Old Sep 23rd, 2016, 05:03 PM

I wore ballet flats in the city all summer long.
Not once in the years we lived in BA did I see anyone walking around the city streets wearing flip flops.
It is like Paris or London or Rome. The dogs are known to leave something behind on the sidewalks and it is a city, you don't wear flip flops.. it will kill your feet anyway ..

I hope this is not too late, but buying shoes in BA is fun .. buy what you need.
Old Sep 23rd, 2016, 09:12 PM
Original Poster

Scarlett - the flip flops are for the beach and the showers at the gym. I've been here a week and have only worn my Adidas sneakers so far. It is absolutely freezing here! I really wish I'd brought a warm sweater. I thought I'd be OK with layering up with vest tops and long sleeved T-shirts along with a leather jacket and scarf, but it isn't enough. Oh well - hopefully it will warm up soon!