Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > South America
Reload this Page >

Northern Argentina: Have you been there?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 17th, 2012, 09:24 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My wife and I are considering a trip to Buenos Aires and then the north country in the area of Salta. If you have been there, we would appreciate any information that might be helpful in planning such a trip. Thanks in advance.
Old Apr 17th, 2012, 09:39 AM

See my recent report in which I mention Salta. I can give more details of the sketch I provided and/or try to answer any specific questions. ZZ
Old Apr 17th, 2012, 10:40 AM

We spent several weeks there as part of a very long trip around the world and absolutely loved it! IMHO the best way to go is to rent a car and drive a circuit of the region. Here is a link to our blog with lots of detail and photos:

http://blog.travelpod.com/travel-blo...ai/1/tpod.html NW Argentina starts at entry #75

Also, try using the search facility -top right and put in Salta or North west to find trip reports.

We did the trip in Oct/Nov when the weather was perfect but do check weather for the time of year you are planning on going as it does vary dramatically.

The circuit can be done at a leisurely pace over 6/7 days and we found it easy to find accommodation on arrival at the various towns we stayed in.

Happy to answer any specific questions you may have
Old Apr 17th, 2012, 04:04 PM

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post
We spent nine days in the NW and loved it. We drove ourselves and had no issues. We were also there in the Nov. timeframe. It did get hot as the days went by, but it was ok. If u click on my name u can find my TR.
Old Apr 18th, 2012, 03:50 AM

We recently returned from 12 days in the NW - relying heavily on crellston's and yestravel's trip reports! (yes, ours is coming!)

It's a beautiful area. Our itinerary was (and main attraction for us in brackets):

- Salta - 2 nights (main square/museums - could have been 1 day if we had arrived earlier in the day the first day)
- drive to Molinos (south of Cachi)- 2 nights - (horseback riding/local towns/views)
- Molinos to Cafayate - 2 nights - (views/wineries/good restaurants)
- Cafayate to Purmamarca - 3 nights (views/Salinas Grande/day trip north)
- Purmamarca to El Bordo - south of Jujuy - 3 nights (stay at wonderful Estancia)
- El Bordo to Salta Airport

We were there at the very end of the rainy season - we had mainly clear skies (especially when we needed it for driving) but there was ample evidence of road wash outs which happens in the rainy season (December to March I believe) so I would bear that in mind for your planning.

TR to follow!
Old Apr 18th, 2012, 04:29 AM

Thank you. Elizabeth_S!

We expect a great TR from you!

When should we expect you guys back?
Old Apr 18th, 2012, 06:27 AM

I was in Salta for 4 nights in September, should have cut a night or two from Bs As and stayed longer in the NW. It was beautiful (light jacket) weather, sunny and warm days, cool nights.

Definitely follow some of the other's itineraries and just base yourself in Salta for 1 or 2 nights, stay in Purmamarca, Cafayate and some of the other towns for your other nights. We had really long daytrips coming back to Salta each evening. Live and learn!
Old Apr 21st, 2012, 06:28 AM

Just got back yesterday from 9 nights in the Salta area. We also depended heavily on the reports mentioned above but rather than drive we hired a car and driver. Greatly preferred that because the scenery was so fantastic and extensive that if we had driven I think we would have missed a lot.

We also made it to very off the usual track places such as Colome and a couple of very tiny bodegas (wineries). Enjoyed the cities, too.

Best accommodation recommendation is Casa del Sol in Cafayate. (Villaggio in Mendoza was superb, too, with the best breakfast we had in the entire three weeks.)
Old Apr 28th, 2012, 08:52 PM

Salta is definitely worth some time and attention. Although the street traffic is maniac, mostly unregulated by such niceties as signs, the pace of daily life is invigorating, from the farmer's market to the fixers lounging around the plaza. I took a tour, which turned out to be just me and the driver, into the mountains and was dizzied by the altitude and by the constantly shifting scenery, geology, and wildlife, including the big salt lake at a time I just happened to be reading a history of salt. The mountains rip into the sky as if freshly disgorged from the volcanic heart of the planet and Salta catches their drift.
Old Apr 29th, 2012, 06:25 AM

We loved our 2010 trip to the NOA and benefited greatly from the TRs on Fodors (some mentioned above)and responses to questions we posted here. And those helpful details...

We traveled 1/2 time independently as well as 1/2 time with a Tour Guide. We greatly preferred the independent time...but we were two couples; were I traveling alone, I would prefer a guide.

Enjoy yourselves, and please post back any questions (later, suggestions) you have.
Old May 13th, 2012, 06:18 PM

I am one of those fortuned who were born in the NW of Argnetina. I only want to tell you that is you choose this area as a destination for vacations, you will never regret. YOu should consider at least five days to see the most as possible.
Salta - Cachi
Cachi- Cafayate wineries and tasting
Cafayate - Salta
Salta - Purmamarca ( salt flats in the late afternoon)
Purmamarca - Humahuaca - Tilcara - SALTA would be a perfect itinerary for five days.
PLs make the questions you consider convenient if you need more info. I would be pleased to responde.
Warm regards,
Angie/Flintstones
Old May 13th, 2012, 06:23 PM

OOps, I forgot to tell you that you will be bale to see the most colourful mountains you ever imagined and the most delicious dishes made with typical produce from the field in the area such as Quinoa Pie, Humitas and the most tasty empanadas...
Wines is anothe issue... You will love them all-
The scenery is impossible to describe but, if you find pictures form the area, they do mot make any justice to the places.
warm regards,
Flintsones
Old Jun 2nd, 2012, 07:03 PM

Hi Flintstones (and everyone else!). We are getting ready to book a November trip which includes 4 days in the Salta region during the second week of November. Now I am wondering if October would be better weather. Several guide books have commented on how hot Salta is in November and that November is also a bit wetter. We are fine with temps in the low-mid eighties, so perhaps I am worrying for no reason?
Any thoughts would be appreciated. Thanks.
Old Jun 4th, 2012, 09:11 AM

I visited the NW in third week Sept. last year and weather was fantastic. Sunny, comfortable days - lightweight jackets or just long-sleeved shirts by afternoon; cool evenings - added a lightweight fleece under my jacket.

I imagine October weather would be just fine. The NW is the one of the most beautiful parts of Argentina and you will enjoy it.
Old Jun 4th, 2012, 09:38 AM

Dear macksix, October, November is great for the NW, some warm days but bot too hot. The nights are cool and you will be comfortable everywhere. Salta is a nice town so I suggest you take at least one day to explore it. Take at least 3 dasy to see the Calchaquies Valleys, Cachi - Cafayate - maybe two nights for Cafayate would be better, because you can also visit some wineries and explore the area... goat cheese factory, and great wines deserve some time.
If you are driving yourself you will need longer time always.
Do not miss also Purmamarca - Humahuaca Gorge- The salt flats. And please, if you need any info or recommendatiosn about hotels, restaurants, or whatever, about the area, do not hesitate in making questions.
I will be pleased to help you to make your stay the best!
Warm regards,
Angie/Flintstones.
Old Jun 4th, 2012, 06:02 PM

Thanks so much Angie! I will definitely contact you (via Fodors) once our trip gets closer. Right now we are trying to work out our flights, etc. We have 10 nights total in Argentina. The first two in BA, one night in Igauzu, and then either four or five in Salta and two or three in BA. We are trying to decide whether to add the fifth night in Salta or leave for BA on the last flight that night. Any thoughts?
Thanks again!!
Old Jun 5th, 2012, 08:23 AM

I spent a month traveling all over Argentina-and LOVE that country. If you love big cities, do the extra night in BA. Otherwise I would say spend more time in the NW-fly to Salta, rent a car and drive to the villages of Tilcara (and Purmamarca)- they are what inspired my trip to Peru. Precious people, amazing landscape and such a feel that is not anything like the rest of Argentina. Soo...spend 2 nights in Salta, drive up to Tilcara, spend 2 nights (Posada de Luz is sublime, rustic, peaceful, quaint- they even bring you bundles of firewood for your room) and hit up the local Peña de Carlitos. Then drive back down, spend one more night in Salta, fly out next AM, spend the day in BA and then take the late night flight out for home. You won't be disappointed!
Old Jun 5th, 2012, 08:45 AM

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post
I agree with bmarie, but would try and fit in a drive to cafayate.
Old Jun 5th, 2012, 09:38 AM

We loved fitting in Cafayate too.

And I would suggest spending the last night in BsAs so that flight delays and overly long travel days are avoided.
Old Jun 5th, 2012, 03:20 PM

Macksix; Take a night more in SALTA, you will not regrret. I promise. You will love the town and the outskirts!
I know that some incline the scale to Purmamarca, and some to Tilcara. But not many had the chance to stay in both places... For me, IMHO, Purmamarca is a jewel, a gem!!! You have also the chance to do a walk around Los colorados, which is an extra pleasure!
I will also be pleased to suggest you some restaurants and hotels if you need,
Warm regards,
Angie/Flintsotnes

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -