New advance payment of Argentina's reciprocity fee

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 18th, 2012, 09:58 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I saw this on the U.S. State Department's website. It looks like starting soon, you will have to pay Argentina's $160 reciprocity fee in advance, on line, by credit card. You won't be able to do it on arrival.

NEW RECIPROCITY FEE FOR U.S. TOURIST OR BUSINESS VISITORS
Effective October 31, 2012 (Aeroparque) and December 28, 2012 (Ezeiza)

The National Immigration Agency (Dirección Nacional de Migraciones) has added a new form of payment of the reciprocity rate (visitor visa – rate for Americans of USD$160), through the Provincia Payment System. Until now, this fee was paid upon arrival at the airport (either Aeroparque or Ezeiza). Effective October 31, 2012 for arrivals to Aeroparque and effective December 28, 2012 for arrivals to Ezeiza International airport, all U.S. tourist or business visitors must pay the reciprocity rates (USD$160 for Americans) with their credit card through the on-line system. After these dates, cash payments will NOT be accepted at the airports.

How to pay the reciprocity fee on-line:

1) Enter the web site www.migraciones.gov.ar or www.provinciapagos.com.ar of Provincia Pagos and register to start the process.
2) Complete the form with the corresponding personal and credit card information.
3) Print the payment receipt.
4) On arrival in Argentina, this printed receipt must be presented at Immigration Control. The receipt will be scanned by the Immigration officials, the information will be checked, and the traveler's entry to the country registered.
Old Sep 19th, 2012, 12:37 AM

I'm not surprised, as our government is desperate for collecting money in any possible way, to finance their populist policies and get personally richer in the process. They are trying to close any possible loopholes for collecting this fee.

Explaining to them that they might wind up killing the proverbial "goose that lays the golden eggs", is totally useless. They only care about the "here and now".

No matter what, you'll have a great time in our country, particularly if you look for good advice in this forum.
Old Sep 19th, 2012, 05:19 AM

Am I to understand that it is ONLY at the airports that the fee is collected? What if one is entering through Bariloche? Is there a departure tax at EZE? I'll be in country in November. Thanks.
Old Sep 19th, 2012, 05:29 AM

Calypso - the fee is only collected at EZE and AEP for international arriving flights, not on land crossings such as Iguazu or Bariloche. I'm assuming you are taking the bus/boat trip from Chile to Bariloche - it's amazing!

Any departure fees from EZE are already added into your international ticket. There are departure fees that must be paid at Calafate and Trelew airports (possibly others), but they are minimal.

Jeff - good info for future travels - thanks.
Old Sep 19th, 2012, 05:47 AM

Thanks for your expeditious response! Will be flying out as a non-revenue passenger back to the US, should I be prepared (to be asked) to pay a departure tax, and if so, what is the typical amount? PaTricia
Old Sep 19th, 2012, 07:15 AM

If the OP is right and he usually is, maybe they also want to cover land crossings.
Old Sep 19th, 2012, 07:49 AM

I imagine they may get around to covering land crossings and other airports. At the moment it pays to fly to Mendoza via Santiago (staying in transit) to avoid the fee. Return to Chile (if visiting both countries) by land and avoid both fees.

I see one huge problem with this new system. Considering the number of travellers on this and other forums who have never heard of the fee and, if they have, have no idea where it is collected, what are they going to do about people who just arrive who have not pre-paid? Or are the airlines supposed to deny boarding if you don't have your little slip to get into Argentina? This assumes that the airline counter personnel at airports will know the varying amounts and conditions according to nationality and which nationalities need to pay.
Old Sep 19th, 2012, 08:14 AM
Original Poster

Airline personnel use the Timatic system to verify immigration requirements when they check you in. I'm sure this new requirement can be entered into that system: CHECK THAT RECIPROCITY FEE HAS BEEN PAID. It's only U.S., Canadian, and Australian citizens who have to pay it for Argentina, although the three amounts are different. But, that's a good question: Will they deny boarding if you haven't paid in advance?

Last I remember, the airport departure tax was $29.
Old Sep 19th, 2012, 10:48 AM

I have not paid a separate departure fee at EZE on either trip - 2010 and 2011 - Continental and American Airlines. My understanding is the fee is now built into your ticket fare although that was not the case in the past. I did pay a departure fee at FTE to fly back to AEP.
Old Sep 19th, 2012, 01:30 PM
Original Poster

No, I haven't paid the departure tax separately either. The question was about a non-revenue passenger. I assume an airline employee? They're no going to be exempt from the departure tax and would have to pay it at some point.
Old Sep 19th, 2012, 04:49 PM

AV......you said it so well!

This is SO crazy.......there WILL be SO many turistas who do not know about the fee.

CHEERS.
Old Sep 19th, 2012, 05:54 PM

I would guess that if the fee should be pre paid then it is going to be enforced ,sooner or later , no matter where you enter Argentina... This would make sense to me, and a vrooster says they are desperated for
More money. The new one is that the Government will allow foreigners to vote after two years in Argentina so who knows may be sooner or later Americans would be able to vote besides paying the fee.....may be I am wrong
Old Sep 29th, 2012, 12:34 PM

FYI: Just received the following from my travel agent.

"CHANGE IN RECIPROCY FEE FOR PASSENGERS ARRIVING IN ARGENTINA

Please be advised of an important change to the Reciprocity Fee’s policy for American, Canadian and Australian passport holders visiting Argentina.

Starting on September 1st , 2012, any passenger visiting Argentina with an American, Canadian or Australian passport will be required to pay in advance the Reciprocity Fee via online.

The new system will work parallel to the regular collection service performed at Ezeiza Airport until December 28th, 2012 and at Jorge Newbery Airport until October 31st, 2012. After the dates previously mentioned, the only method of collection would be online.

American, Canadian and Australian passport holders visiting Argentina will be required to pay the reciprocity fee online at the following site:https://virtual.provinciapagos.com.ar/ArgentineTaxes/. They must register and pay with a credit card. Once the payment is received, an electronic receipt will be given and passenger would need to show it upon their arrival in Argentina.

The lack of such proof of payment will generate the denial of entry of the passenger and consequent returning to their departure city by the airline. We strongly urge passengers to take the necessary precautions so that those passengers who travel to the mentioned airports with a scheduled arrival starting on November 1st, 2012 (Jorge Newbery) and December 29th, 2012 (Ezeiza) have the electronic receipt with them."

No mention of other entry points. Will be flying from BRC into
Jorge Newbery AEP on a domestic flight. Anticipated problems?
Old Sep 29th, 2012, 03:15 PM

You pay the fee flying into Argentina on international flights which land at AEP or EZE. You do not pay if you fly into those airports on a domestic flight.
Old Sep 30th, 2012, 02:40 PM

Does anyone know if they accept American Express credit card?
Old Sep 30th, 2012, 02:52 PM

Does anyone know if they accept American Express credit card?
Old Sep 30th, 2012, 05:46 PM

We really appreciate the updates on payment of this fee! As independent travelers, we probably wouldn't know till we got there in January. So thanks for keeping us all posted . . .
Old Oct 1st, 2012, 10:58 AM

This is from the horse's mouth:

http://www.migraciones.gov.ar/pdf_va...ciprocidad.pdf

My suggestion is to delay payment until the date of your trip is near and check for any recent developments on this subject before paying.

I figure they take all major credit cards.

If you enter Argentina via a lake or mountain crossing (?) from Chile, as CalypsoGirl apparently will, you MAY be able to avoid this fee.

If you wish to play it safe, just pay it. It's good for 10 years. Y'all will LOVE Argentina and return over and over.

Have a great time in our country.
Old Oct 1st, 2012, 05:05 PM

What a nightmare between this and the issues with converting USD I think Argentina drops to the bottom of my list!
Old Oct 3rd, 2012, 01:04 PM

not sure if new rules apply. would love feedback. I'm flying from the U.S. to Mendoza via Santiago...staying a few days...flying from Mendoze to Iguazu (IGR) staying a few days then flying to Buenos Aires (AEP). I leave the USA 31 OCT. will the prepayment rule apply for my internal flight arrival AEP?

your help much appreciated!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -