My Trip to the Galapagos

Search

My Trip to the Galapagos

Search this Thread

Old Mar 7th, 2014, 06:39 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Trip to the Galapagos

I just came back from my amazing 6-day trip to the Galapgos. I bought a cruise with the ship Santa Cruise. It was a last Minute offer including flight for “only” 1600$. I talked with other people on the ship and most of them paid more (mostly even the double). The guys who paid a little less ordered their tour directly on the islands through the boat company (http://www.metropolitan-touring.com/...sp?id_page=515 ). However, they didn`t need the flight. So I was very happy that I arranged everything with a travel agency in Quito named Midland Travel (https://www.midlandtravel.com.ec/). On top to the 1600$ I had to pay the 100$ national park fee and another fee of 10$ at the airport in Quito.
So far, the boring staff. Now to the cruise: When I arrived at the Galapagos Islands I was picked up from the airport by bus and my luggage was brought to our cabins. We took a small boat to our ship and started our day with a welcome cocktail. As far as I can remember we had lunch directly after that. The food during the whole trip was great (thanks to the cooks). For breakfast and lunch we had a buffet and for dinner a four course menu.
Later at the first day we went for our first visit to the islands. We saw many, many iguanas, sea lions, birds, etc. it was great! (We had to take care not to step on them.) Unfortunately, it turned out that we would see the same animals everyday over and over again. Of course, we saw giant tortoises at the Darwin station as well and smaller tortoises on some of the other islands. But that was mainly it. Still, we had a great time, seeing awesome beaches and landscapes. No matter how great the visits of the different islands were (we visited Isabela, Fernandina, Santa Cruz and Floreana), the snorkeling activities topped everything by far. We snorkeled nearly every day one or two times for about one hour. (If you are not used to cold water you should rent a wet suit. Since I am used to swim in the even colder North Sea it wasn`t necessary for me. Still, sometimes it was really cold.) The second day we snorkeled between bunches of turtles. We even could have touched them easily, but we weren`t allowed to. The other days we were swimming with different kinds of fish (I would tell you their names but I just don`t know them), sea lions and penguins. All of that combined (but no turtles) we saw on our last snorkeling trip. It was one of the best experiences of my whole life. There were soooo many fish around us of soo many colors of all sizes. It was stunning. Also huge sea lions and even some sharks. (These were taller than me but we were told they are vegetarian. Not sure if that was true. But nothing happened.) You could get really close to fish and sea lions, and they just weren`t scared. The only guy who was scared was I, when a huge sea lions faced me and I thought he would just swim though me. (Luckily he did not.) The sea lions are so fast under water compared with that the fish seemed not to move at all. (I know I am repeating myself. It was AMAZZING!)
Back from the Islands to our ship: On the ship were people of all ages, but mostly older people and many couples. I personally went there alone and was scared not to meet anyone at my age (25 years) and to be alone for six days. However, even I made good friends (25-33 years). Some of the older people thought they couldn`t do the snorkeling so they missed the absolutely best part. (So if you are of older age (no matter what age) please just do yourself that favor and try it. It is like swimming just more fun and nobody died or hurt himself.) Another highlight on the ship was the Jacuzzi. Between the different activities I enjoyed to relax there and to glimpse at the sea or to look at the stars during the night (you could see them great).
To the weather: It was really warm (ca. 25-30º C. sorry I am bad with Fahrenheit. Just look it up.), sometimes even too warm during the walks on the islands. This was another reason why the snorkeling activities were a nice change. They were a nice cooling-off.
To sum up, I would recommend everybody to make the same experiences on Galapagos Islands. I personally would book the exact same trip again, with the same cruise, the same travel agency, and the same people on the ship. (You guys were great. Thank you!)
Sorry for all mistakes in my writings. Since I am an exchange student from Germany my English is not perfect….
Old Mar 9th, 2014, 07:12 AM

Thank you for your report. We are going to the galapagos in a week and a half, different company, but great to hear your experiences. I am really looking forward to the snorkelling.
Old Mar 10th, 2014, 08:59 AM

Hi Angelina,
unfortunately your link didn`t work. I still found out the right one - https://www.midlandtravel.com.ec/
Thanks for your review. Based on that I just bought a last minute trip with Midland Travel online. Even found the same boat, however, it is a different itinerary. I will go to the south. I paid per bank transfer and they already received my money. So far so good. Hope the trip turns out to be as good as yours. Looking forward to snorkel!!!!!
Old Mar 10th, 2014, 09:08 AM
Original Poster

Glad to read your replies. Hope both of you will enjoy your trips. The snorkelling will be awesome for sure!
Which excact itinerary are both of you taking?
I heard Espanala in the south should be amazing. Unfortunately, I could't go there.
Please let me know about the experiences you make...
Old Mar 18th, 2014, 08:57 AM

We leave today from san cristobol for the south trip . Snrkled with huge turtles yesterday off the beach. Amazing
Old Mar 21st, 2014, 02:58 AM

Bookmarking!
Old Mar 27th, 2014, 12:40 PM

I am so jealous! It is such a beautiful area in photos and on TV. I have always wanted to go there and see a Galapagos turtle in person!