Malaria meds = manditory?

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 23rd, 2014, 06:25 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am planning on being in northern Argentina in the state of Jujuy for about 4-5 months and it shows it being a malaria area. Meds are expensive and inconvenient. Should I still take them for the whole time I'm there/at all?
Old May 23rd, 2014, 11:59 PM

I suppose it depends on where in Jujuy you are going to be based. Here is a link to the UK NHS malaria map which indicates a low risk (no meds required) for most of the country apart from an area close to the Bolivia and. Paraguay borders.

Clearly you should consult a doctor experience in tropical medicine ( good luck finding one!) who can advise which drug, if any is required. Be warned for a 5-6 month trip the more modern drugs like malarone are very expensive.

I had malaria once and it wasn't pleasant. Nowadays I tend to travel for long periods and take with me a treatment course of Malarone (as opposed to a prophylactic course) so if I do get it I can self treat until I can get to a hospital. They are exactly the same tablets, you just take more tablets over a short period.

The only certain way to avoid malaria and dengue fever is not to get bitten so take lots of bug spray. I take. Lifeventure 100% deet and dilute to 30-50% along the way ( saves a bit of room in my bag). Not always practical but covering up with long pants and shirts helps a lot.
Old May 24th, 2014, 05:35 AM

No need of Malaria pills in Salta and JUjuy, only if you are visiting the jungle around Santa Cruz in Bolivia, And the North East of Salta Province. Do not worry, some advises are too exagerated. Visiting Purmamarca, tilcara, Humahuaca, La QUiaca, there is no need to get them!
Flintstone
Old May 24th, 2014, 10:28 AM

CDC says there is a risk in rural areas of Jujuy and Salta along the Bolivian border.

I would be more likely to do as crellston has recommended, bring a treatment course of malarone (which you can't buy in South America).
Old May 26th, 2014, 07:23 AM
Original Poster

I wasn't aware of the treatment course of malarone...great to know. And Humahuaca is where I'll be staying so nice to know maybe it is exaggerated. That's good news as I might have had to skip Argentina due to malaria treatment $

I will consult a doctor for sure, but how much would you recommend bringing as treatment if I will be there ~5 months?
Old May 26th, 2014, 08:13 AM

Best to ask your doctor about the recommended dosage for malaria treatment as he/she will need to write a prescription anyway and there may be other drugs like Doxycyline which he might recommend. I only take one treatment pack which, from memory is around 20 tabs

Looking at the NHS Malaria map, Huamhuaca is in a low risk zone _nice place BTW

NB if you do feel you have contracted the disease then you should find your way to the nearest medical facility straight away even if you do start the medication.