Search

MACHU PICCHU

Search this Thread

Old Sep 29th, 2017, 03:44 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
MACHU PICCHU

starting to plan an "on our own" 3 week trip to Peru. i was shocked to see that a day trip to machu picchu from cuzco was nearly $400 a person. i know that there are at least 3 trains to the area. question, once there can you get a guide on the spot, preferably in a small group - 10 people or so?

thanks
Old Sep 30th, 2017, 09:29 AM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
>>question, once there can you get a guide on the spot, preferably in a small group - 10 people or so?<<

You don't really need a guide there

I would not try it as a day trip -- I'd stay in Sacred Valley, there are several good options including Ollantaytambo. Or of course you can stay in Aguas Callientes at the base of Machu Pichu. There are buses from Aguas Callientes to the site (long queues for the bus)

I was initially going to do it independently but ended up booking a small group for Sacred Valley/Machu Pichu in country after tearing my ACL and having limited mobility . . . So I didn't have to decide whether to use a tour guide or not. But if you decide you want one I saw guides soliciting for business at the bus stop in Aguas Calliente.

There are a couple of Peru experts who post here regularly so hopefully one will see your thread.
Old Oct 2nd, 2017, 10:13 AM

I am staying in Cusco for a bit and booked my Machu Picchu trip once I was here. I chose "Machu Picchu by car," A tour that most agencies around town offer for anywhere from $80-$95. To me, this is a great price considering that everything is included...transportation on a large van/bus (15ish people), One breakfast, lunch, and dinner, park entrance fees, accommodations for one night in Aguas Calientes, and a guide through Machu Picchu in English or Spanish. The van ride is about six hours to Hydroelectra where are you are let out to eat lunch and then walk about two hours down the train tracks to Aguas Calientes (a scenic, peaceful route). In Aguas Calientes you'll meet a guide who will show you your hostel, give you your park entrance fee and explain where to meet your Machu Picchu guide the following morning. You will have from 6-11am in the park before walking back to Hydroelectra. Seems short, but plenty of time to explore!! May I also recommend www.hostalcajamagica.com if you are spending any time in Cusco? Great historic location, good spot to meet with fellow travelers, and free, safe luggage storage while you travel to Machu Picchu or other nearby attractions! Hope this helps, enjoy your trip!
Old Oct 2nd, 2017, 11:39 AM

IIRC this year the Peruvian Government wanted to implement new procedures which REQUIRE a guide, but there was some speculation that there weren't enough guides available so it might not be enforced.

You really need someone who has been in the last few months and attempted to do it independently to answer that question of how easy it is to hire someone in town.

It IS absolutely to visit as a day trip, but roundtrip from Ollantaytambo, not Cusco. There are many more trains from "Olly" and it's a better place to start your trip to avoid the higher altitudes in Cusco.

If you want to do a daytrip the 'back route' described by the Viajero who likely works for a travel agency won't cut it.

How did you mess up your ACL janisj?