Search

Huanya Picchu Hike + Macchu Picchu ruins

Search this Thread

Old May 6th, 2010, 09:08 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Huanya Picchu Hike + Macchu Picchu ruins

Hi,

I will be visiting Macchu Picchu this year. l will really appreciate if someone could help me with the following questions:-

-If we take the first bus from Aguas Caliente to Macchu Picchu at 5 am, does the bus drop you off near the MP ruins?

-Where is the entrance/starting point for hiking Huayna Picchu and what is the ending point?

-Since everyone is suggesting hiking Huanya Picchu early morning, how can we do both hiking Huanya Picchu and guided tour of MP ruins in 1 day? Do we need 2 days for this?

Thanks a lot
Old May 6th, 2010, 01:03 PM

-The MP buses drop off the passengers at the bus stop that is about 15-20 feet from the MP ticket gate.

- You have to go through the main gate of MP and then walk about a half mile or so to the other end of MP to get to the entrance gate for Huayna Picchu. You should take a look at the layout of MP in any guide books to get a better sense of where HP is in relation to MP. The ending point of the HP hike/climb is to the very top of HP if that is how far you desire to go.

- You can certainly arrange for a guide tour of MP after you finish you climb of HP. It can get tiring climbing HP though. the steps can get quite steep, especially if you're heading towards the very top. It's not dangerous when the weather is dry, but you do need to be careful. Personally I would prefer two days for a more relaxing tour of MP and HP, but you can certainly cram everything in within one day. The site is open from 5am until 5pm I think. That's plenty of time to climb HP and then tour MP.
Old May 7th, 2010, 01:25 PM

You'll need to purchase your tickets to MP from the desk in AC before you go up. The park doesn't open until 6 am or first light which is just about 6 am.

You can do Huanya Picchu and MP in the same day. Depending on your level of physical fitness you might get up to the sun gate as well.

The park closes at sundown (or 6 pm) - wonderful thing about being near the equator.
Old May 9th, 2010, 12:46 PM
JBX

You may not have realized it, but likely you've seen a pic of Huanu Picchu ...... in the classic photos of the MP ruins, "HP" is that peak sticking up.

Here's a travel blog from December that has pictures & report describing their hike >>> http://www.travelblog.org/South-Amer...og-462309.html
Old May 9th, 2010, 02:46 PM

catchgee...I'm probably old enough to be your father or grandfather and if you can't do Huanya Picchu and see most, if not all, of the important sites around Machu Picchu in one day....then you need to work on some physical conditioning before making the trip. Do everything you can when you visit, you will remember it for the remainder of your life. Here's a link to a posting I wrote some time back on my climb to the top of Huanya Picchu:

http://community.luxurylink.com/t5/T...ba-p/15378#A39

Good luck and enjoy your trip!
Old May 13th, 2010, 04:27 PM
JBX

(above poster) ..... Huayna Picchu………2701 meters (8,860 feet) mas y minos
Just read your report on climbing up the peak. Muy Bien!
Old Jun 8th, 2010, 12:23 PM

Gracias JBX....heading back to Peru in eight weeks...little time in the Sacred Valley and then some trekking around Puno (not my favorite city, but some great treks outside).