How long can I stay in Peru?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 30th, 2024, 07:38 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

In December 2023, I visited my boyfriend in Peru for 10 days and returned to the US in January. I'm planning another trip in a few weeks, intending to stay for about 60 days. I've heard that immigration officers might grant only 30 days or however many since it’s up to their discretion, so I'm a bit worried about being allowed to stay as long as I had planned. I'm also unsure about the process for extending my stay and the 90 or 183-day limit per year since several sources say different things. If anyone has experienced this, I'd really appreciate some guidance. Thanks!
Old Apr 30th, 2024, 10:11 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Most visitors are normally given permission to stay for up to 30 days on arrival. If you need to stay longer, you must apply for permission on arrival. Immigration officials can grant you up to 180 days per year. I am not sure whether this is per calendar year or a year form the date of first entry. Either way you should be ok. Entry to any country is always at the discretion of the immigration officials but unless they have any suspicions about an individual , it is unlikely to be refused.

I am a UK citizen and have entered Peru numerous times both overland and by air and always for several months at a time and have never experienced any problems. I always tell them how long I plan to be in the country at outset rather than wait until they have granted 30 days. As far as I am aware Peru no longer stamps passports on entry so it is probably all done electronically.

I assume you have a US passport? If so, I would check with the US State Dept and/or the nearest Peruvian Consulate.