Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > South America
Reload this Page >

Help. Travelling to Chile, Argentina, or Peru???

Dec 22nd, 2009, 07:03 AM
Original Poster

My fiance and I are considering a trip to South America for our huneymoon and Chile is on the top of our list behind Argentina and Peru. We are going in June/July timeframe so weather will place a decision for where we end up for sure.

None of us have ever been there so I was looking for a little adivce from our fellow Fodor travelors.

We are looking for 3 things: great beaches, fresh local seafood , and wine. We are not staying in a hotel, we are going to try and rent an apartment or a farm house in a town within driving distance to a local port where we can enjoy the beaches and local fisherman catch.

We prefer a place that has character but is not too crazy like a big city. We would like to be close to some wine region as wine is a big part of our travel obsession.

I know this is a lot to ask for but does anyone have any recommendations of regions or towns or anything that resembles what I asked for in any of the countries I mentioned?
Dec 22nd, 2009, 07:16 AM

Chile has incredible fresh seafood and excellent wines.Wonderful fruits and vegetables too. You can access wine country an hour or less from Santiago.
If you go south to Puerto Varas, you;ll also be within reach of the sea. Sorry I can't recommend a town other than Santiago, Valparaiso,Puerto Varas and tiny Zapallar, north of Valparaiso, for the beach and seafood at El Chiringuito.
Dec 22nd, 2009, 08:03 AM

In June and July it is mid-winter in South America and you will not find any beaches for bathing or sunning in the countries you mention. Perhaps in the far north of Perú, but then you would miss most of what there is to see in the rest of the country. It is skiing season in Chile and Argentina.

Fresh local seafood is abundant in Chile (nowhere is far from the coast) and on the coast in Perú. Argentina is more about beef. Even in Buenos Aires the variety and quality of seafood is very limited.

Chile and Argentina are both wine producing countries. There are several wine valleys within easy distance of Santiago but for wine regions in Argentina you would need to go to the Mendoza area or further north. Perú does not produce much wine.

It is not the best time of year for what you want to do. It is a good time for visiting the highlands of the Andes if you wanted to go to Cusco and Machu Picchu and good for skiing in other places, but it is definitely not beach weather.

There are still warm places in each of the countries but in the north of each and inland. In Chile, San Pedro de Atacama and in Argentina the area around Salta. Anywhere on the coast will be cold and wet at that time of year.