Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > South America
Reload this Page >

Help needed creating an itinerary for Argentina/Chile (February/March 2010)

Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 4th, 2009, 12:51 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi,

I'm just starting to do research for a trip to Chile/Argentina next year (2010) in February/March. I'm wondering if folks who had been to these countries recently could suggest some spots to include in my itinerary?

1) I will have four weeks. Is this enough for both countries? Or maybe it is better to stick to one?
2) I like a variety of things, including nature (hiking, beaches, mountain climbing), wine, as well as good food (I eat in both whole-in-the wall places that serve great food as well as in five star restaurants)
3) In terms of accomodation, what to expect? In Italy I stayed in agri-turismos in Tuscany. Is there something similar available there?
4) What are some of the once-in-a-lifetime travel experience that Chile/Argentina offer that should definitely make it to my itinerary?

Thank you all for any tips you may offer.
E.
Old Dec 5th, 2009, 04:08 AM

Congrats on your trip...

In 4 weeks fly into EZE

do southern cone route first

then Santiago Mendoza Salta Iguazu finish in BsAs

LP shoestring SA guide best

www.despegar.com flights best

Hostals pretty nice in most areas www.hostelbookers.com

www.wowargentina.com for a nice agent if you do not DIY...
Old Dec 5th, 2009, 05:43 AM

Hi - we spent about 4 weeks in Chile in February 2006 - under the category of "once in a lifetime" I would definitely suggest going to Easter Island - easy to do from Santiago (although still a 5 hour flight - but worth it IMO)

Here's a link to our blog

http://lizandrichardsa.typepad.com/l...and_final.html
Old Dec 5th, 2009, 12:18 PM

4 weeks is a good amount of time. Many people find ARG preferable over Chile, so consider that when choosing a balance.

Nature, fine dining and mtns in the Lakes District (Bariloche, VLA and SMDLA).

If you want some beach time, pop over to Uruguay from BA. Also, do that in Feb over March.
Old Dec 6th, 2009, 08:49 PM

The unexpected highlight of my three weeks in Argentina (besides great wine and food in B.A.) was the Cafayate region in northern Argentina, near Salta. Really stunning scenery and great wineries that wouldn't know how to be snobbish if they tried. So if it were me I would spend my Argentina time in lower Patagonia, B.A., and that region, with maybe a little in Mendoza if you're really into red wine.
Old Dec 8th, 2009, 07:57 AM

I would try to include Torres del Paine and the El Chalten area of southern Patagonia (the mountainous part, not the flat part of Argentinian Patagonia). It is expensive to get there, so you might want to do that area thoroughly which also can include a cruise thru the Beagle Channel, Tierra del Fuego, etc. It's not so easy to plan the Chilean Patagonia part independently, so an early start is advised. In Torres del Paine you can stay at the refugios (hostels but no cooking) for about $40-$50 a night, meals are expensive also.

In Punta Arenas, La Casa Escondida, a relatively new B&B. You can find the raving reviews on Tripadvisor.