Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > South America
Reload this Page >

Group tours from Salta to Uyuni and Atacama and back?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 10th, 2024, 08:23 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Dear folks

Trying to build an itinerary for a South America trip starting soon and finding this is a good time to go to the salt flats and Atacama . Was thinking if there are any good tours from Salta so I can return there for my onward journey to Iguazu. Would you recommend the tours from Salra . Is it worth doing solo for a part to make it cheaper? How would I know what is the right price?

Thank you
Old Apr 10th, 2024, 10:57 AM

See my post on your other thread.

I think you may struggle to find tours starting in Salta. I would get a bus to San Pedro de Atacama . Most will end in Uyuni but you should be able to hitch a ride back to SPdeA and get a bus back to Salta. Tours will be twice the price from SPdeA

The other way, which we have done in reverse is to get a bus from Salta to La Quiaca , cross the border to Villazon and then get a collectivo to Tupiza ( a nice town in its own right - the hang out of Butch Cassidy !) You can get tours from there to Uyuni. These entries in our blog cover one such trip. Again tours end in Uyuni but we have always hitched a ride back with the driver (usually at breakneck speed!) to Tupiza and then get a bus back to Salta.

Realistically you will need a night in Tupiza at either end and it is a full days travel from Tupiza to Salta usually leaving at 07:00 and arriving @ 19:00.It is a long trip and easy enough. You would need to pick up a tour in Tupiz . The two operators there are Tupiza Tours and La Torre Tour. Both have websites and both are pretty hopeless at responding to emails unless your write in Spanish.

Good luck

Old Apr 10th, 2024, 03:56 PM
Original Poster

As always thank you much crellston..