Search

Galapagos terrain?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 16th, 2022, 09:06 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Galapagos terrain?

Hi, We’re thinking of Galapagos with Nat Geo next August, and I’m curious what types of trails/paths or “non-existant” trails are on the islands?
I have some hip and foot problems and rough terrain can make me very unhappy the next day.
I know I probably won’t hike the Lava fields, just wondering what everyone else has experienced

Thanks….
Old Jul 16th, 2022, 02:42 PM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
Sorry, but your thread title really didn't make sense (which is why I opened it in he first place so maybe that works ) But you've also tagged this as a Trip Report. Maybe ask the moderators to remove the tag and edit the title to what you are actually asking . . . (Plus you've tagged the topic for Bolivia which has nothing to do with the Galápagos Islands so maybe the moderators could clean that up too?? )
Old Jul 17th, 2022, 04:33 AM
Forum Moderator

Changed title and tags.
Old Jul 17th, 2022, 11:52 AM

This information is readily available, and depends on what your itinerary is. There are trails and paths that you must stick to, there is no bushwacking. Some of the landings can be difficult if you do not have good balance, although the crew will assist. Some landings are "wet" and require getting on and off of a zodiac into shallow water. Some require being able to navigate a few large steps from a moving zodiac onto a dock or landing. Some trails have a lot of steps and others do not. If you have good guides they will brief you on the excursion options and you can alway decide not to remain on board.

I actually found the lava rock pretty easy to walk over, provides a good grip. There are options to just snorkle or stay on the beach, depending on your itinerary.