Search

Galapagos

Search this Thread

Old Aug 19th, 2019, 06:08 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Galapagos

Hello ...

I have been wanting to go to the Galapagos for years. Now is the time. I would be going on my own and am wondering what boats/companies allow single passengers. I am looking at an 8 day trip. I am a "senior" who is in excellent shape and has no problem being on my own and joining up with others. Any suggestions? Appreciate any advice.

Thank you,
Susan
Old Aug 19th, 2019, 07:03 AM

Hi Susan, I travelled to the Galapagos a few years ago with a friend- we were two singles and my friend wanted a private berth which can be expensive. Luckily we found the MV Eclipse which is one of the few boats that has single cabins - two and they are economically priced as singles. The ship cannot be booked directly- you must go through a travel agent. It was a fantastic trip- they have different lengths of tours you can choose from. I simply contacted a travel agent and asked to book on the first available 8 day tour which had both single cabins free. All things considered it was the perfect balance between economy and being pampered. The boat holds 48 passengers which is big enough to be very stable and sea worthy yet there is still an intimate atmosphere- big enough to meet interesting people from all over the world and also big enough to get away from any who one might not want to spend too much time with and yet not too big. The boat has 4 small launches holding 12 passengers and crew each so the excursions were always mixed up with a different group of 12 people- a nice amount of people for a hike or boat trip. The food on the ship was excellent and I am a bit of a foodie. Every day there were very good organized tours- either snorkelling or hiking or kayaking. The crew were polite and professional and they had very well trained naturalists on board for the guided excursions. I can't say enough about the whole experience. Highly recommended. It would be perfect for a single.
Old Aug 28th, 2019, 12:28 PM
Original Poster

thank you so much for responding. I really appreciate your information.
Regards,
Susan
Old Sep 11th, 2019, 06:39 AM

If you don't mind trying to book as a share with a stranger, sometimes you get lucky and they can't fill the second bed.

I went on Angelito, which is just out of dry dock and can be booked direct with Cometa Travel. You can actually book them with anyone else, but they were great to deal with directly after having my first cruise cancelled by Road Scholar 2 months out. They were actually recommended by an advisor from one of the big adventure travel companies. IMO they aren't very expensive as Galapagos goes, so you may be able to afford the whole cabin if you can't find a share. Don't forget you also have airfare and hefty taxes to pay.

Wonderful family-owned boat and guide Maja is amazing. I went on itinerary A (in May).

It is worth doing a little study of seasons , some birds are present only seasonally (such as the Waved Albatross) and weather and wave conditions vary.

https://www.adventuresmithexploratio...el-best-month/

Last edited by mlgb; Sep 11th, 2019 at 06:53 AM.