Search

First shot at Argentina itinerary for 2010 40th anniversary trip

Search this Thread

Old May 9th, 2009, 01:45 PM
SnR
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
First shot at Argentina itinerary for 2010 40th anniversary trip

Our son has raved about Argentina for a few years and said we need to go. Reading the trip reports on Fodors has whetted our appetite, but we have a few questions. We are from Seattle, thus hot weather wimps, but also don't want to go somewhere cold and rainy (we get enough of that at home.) We have loved, loved, loved Australia in two trips, but abovementioned son insists that we will love Argentina, too. We like scenery, animals, local culture, and people. We have a few health issues (do the math--we were married at 22!) but like to do moderate hikes and walking. We would love to somehow hook up a snorkel time at the end of the trip (like in Bonaire or Aruba) but dont' know exactly how to do that. We are crazy about snorkeling. Anyway, any suggestions would be appreciated. We want to see Iguazu Falls (both sides), Bariloche, the glaciers and the penguins/whales. Also BA, of course. What time of year would be best? We would like to spend 3 weeks and use our FF miles. Can (should?) you book a flight straight through to any of the places and then hit BA on the way back? That way we'd save on FF miles, save on unpacking/packing and transportation, not to mention time. We did that both times in Oz, renting a car in Sydney and driving to our first destination. The people on Fodors/South America seem to be as nice and helpful as the folk over on the Oz one (and a few repeats--hi, Percy!) so I hope we can get a few recommendations. Thanks!!
Sally in Seattle aka SnRSeattle and SnR (for some reason the forum wouldn't let me sign up as the former)
Old May 9th, 2009, 02:02 PM

Hi, SnR, "We like scenery, animals, local culture, and people"...you sound like a future fan of the NW of Argentina. You do not mention "when" you are coming but I feel you will love not only Argentina and Nw but also your son!
This area is one of the most scenic and the "other ingredients" like food, wine, crafts, architecture, weather will make you fall in love with our country.
Warm regards,
Flintstones.
Old May 9th, 2009, 02:26 PM

Congrats. You can check out our blog, www.LivingInPatagonia.com for info about Bariloche. Feel free to contact me thru there and I will be happily to assist with your travel in these parts. Suerte!
Old May 9th, 2009, 02:48 PM

December is a good month as it is warm without being overwhelmingly hot in Buenos Aires. In January and February it can get hot and humid in BA. The end of November would probably be fine too.
You are only going to be able to fly into Buenos Aires on an international flight and would have to take national flights from there (different airport), so you can place Buenos Aires wherever you want on your itinerary. Driving is really not feasible because of the great distances involved. You can rent a car at a destination and that makes sense for getting around the lake district but not for getting there. Possibilities are long distance overnight buses and flying.
With three weeks you should be able to see all you want to see, although there is a lot more. While visiting Bariloche you might also include Villa la Angostura.
I don't know anywhere with good snorkeling. The water is cold off the coast and not like clear, tropical water. But someone else may know better.
Old May 9th, 2009, 03:23 PM

SNR: I laughed as I thought maybe my husband wrote it at first. We will be celebrating our 40th too and planned to go to Argentina in Feb. Our son has been there for the past two Decembers, and loved it! He and his wife have seen a lot of the expansive country and made suggestions to us. But we really need to investigate ourselves. I thought going on this site might help. Have you gotten some good ideas thus far? WHen are you going? We live in Michigan. Carol
Old May 9th, 2009, 06:13 PM

OK... let me see if I can help some... I lived in Portland Or, before we moved to BA .. I know you hot weather wimps .. I actually started to become one too !
I love the fall and spring here.. Dec, Jan and Feb are hot hot hot. This year especially.
November is wonderful as is April ..
Our friend just came home from his home in Bariloche where he spent the summer, it is just fall there, with trees all colors and some leaves falling.. so very beautiful. His mom is in her early 80s and hiked with him so there are easy hikes to be done there .. No, you have to fly in and out of BA. Iguazu is generally a good 2 day trip .. many people do it as a one night trip. You can see everything and relax if you stay 2 nights. The Sheraton is the best place if it fits the budget ..
I have heard nothing about snorkling here , anywhere .. sorry
Since you want to travel around, it might work for you to rent an apt. Then you can leave extra luggage and just take what is needed for the short trips, you can come and go at any time you wish and not have to deal with checking in and out etc. . And apt stays give a nice feeling of living here ..
We came here from Portland for a 2 week visit.. went back home, thought about it for about 2 weeks then decided to move here.. we moved here with Pup and all 4 months later ..
just so you know the risk you run
Old May 11th, 2009, 08:15 AM
SnR
Original Poster

Wow! Thanks for such nice responses! Aw, flintstones, I bet you say that to all the girls! (I know you do, because I've read your responses. We will certainly look up the NW that you promote so fiercely.) Soul skier--thanks for the website. I'll check it out. DS LOVED Bariloche. Huentetu--thanks for answering my questions and I will look into Villa Angostura. Carol (clove7525)--I'll look forward to your trip report. I didn't collaborate with your husband, honest. We don't know when we are going, although it looks like either spring or fall there would be good. Unfortunately, spring and fall HERE are good, too, so we don't like to travel then. You go away during the good parts and come home for the bad parts--not smart. One thing that is holding me back from Argentina is the cold in Patagonia. I like to vacation where it is warm and sunny. But we can't go to Argentina without seeing it--DH wants to go to Antarctica! Scarlett--wow, one trip and you were hooked! If we didn't have children and a grandchild, we'd be in Oz right now!! Lucky you to be able to follow your dreams. You all have given me good leads and food for thought. Thanks a lot. Any other information would be gratefully received. The snorkeling was mentioned thinking that maybe someone would be able to say whether we could fly from BA to somewhere where we could go snorkeling (Bonaire/Aruba? Belize? don't know if there are connections.) With FF miles, you get to have a stopover, or at least you used to be able to, they have been changing things lately and not for the better.
Sally in Seattle aka SnRSeattle aka SnR
Old May 11th, 2009, 11:31 AM

I have heard great things about this service if you have any limitations (Physical or language barrier): http://baculturalconcierge.com/

She sets up everything and caters to your interests.
Old May 11th, 2009, 12:01 PM

Sally, I also have children but one lived in Japan for years and the other wants to live in Belgium when she can ... we would have ended up one day , going to visit the kids in other lands.. now they visit us and one already is talking about living here too lol

From the little I know about flights here, the stopovers would be Brazil, Peru etc ..
Without a map I have no idea where those islands are in relation to this Land at the Bottom of the World ! lol
Old May 11th, 2009, 05:20 PM

we just returned about a week ago.. see my report...the weather was perfect in BA, Mendoza and Iguazu falls....not too hot, not too cool and only one day out of 21 with any rain at all..

don't be afraid of the long haul lux buses....they are very comfortable in royal or full cama class...

prices are moderate and food is excellent and overwhelming in quantity....we sadly lacked spicy food, even though we looked for it...
Old May 14th, 2009, 07:35 AM
SnR
Original Poster

Thanks for your answers. I am wondering what the best time of year is to go to Patagonia AND BA/Iguazu? Is there any time of year that Patagonia has better weather or is there just cold and windy and colder and windier? I guess I'll just have to start reading!
Sally in Seattle aka SnR and SnRSeattle
Old May 14th, 2009, 06:52 PM

I think the best time to visit Patagonia is spring (LATE SEPT-NOV) or fall (MARCH-EARLY MAY)