Ecuador - Otavolo and/or Cotopaxi? plus tour operator question

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 7th, 2014, 06:43 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We are planning a trip to Ecuador later in the year. We want to do some touring before our Galapagos cruise and I am looking at staying in the Otavolo area and also near Cotopaxi. Does it make sense to go to both of these areas, or just one?

After the cruise we plan to visit Cuenca before flying home from Guayaquil.

Also, does anyone have any recent experience booking through TerraDiversa or Southern Explorations?

thanks.
Old Jul 7th, 2014, 06:47 AM
Original Poster

Editing to add - we enjoy outdoor activities, especially hiking and time is not a big factor.
Old Jul 7th, 2014, 10:20 AM

They are both worth a visit but it depends on how much time you have. During out two months in Ecuador Cotopaxi was swathed in cloud most of the time so we decided against it and opted for a visit to another volcano, Chimborazo instead. The secret Garden at Cotopaxi was highly rated by a number of people we met http://secretgardenquito.com/the_secret_garden_cotopaxi

Otavalo is definitely worth a few days, especially on a weekend when the main and animal market is on. we stayed at La Luna and loved it. We had a great days hiking around Lagos Mojanda up in the mountains. quite tough because of the altitude, but worth it.

Otavalo really needs two, preferably three nights. Cotopaxi two. if you have the time then Chimborazo is definitely worth considering. the bike ride down the volcano from 5000m was an amazing experience!

some photos and more info on our blog
http://blog.travelpod.com/travel-blo...ai/6/tpod.html

Otavalo is entry no. 4

As you are visiting Cuenca. Parque Nacional Cajas has some beautiful hikes ( also on the blog).
Old Jul 7th, 2014, 10:27 AM

I did the hike around the lake Cuicocha near Otavalo and visited three artisan communities. I used this Otavalo travel agency that also books community homestays. Went to Latacunga for the Mama Negra festival but didn't have time to do any hiking.

http://www.runatupari.com/index.php/en/
Old Jul 7th, 2014, 10:43 AM

BTW if you decide to do Cotopaxi from Latacunga, I recommend booking this room at Villa Tacvnga. I'm not sure why, but they upgraded me from the standard double room. The same people also run a travel agency. There is some English spoken by one of the receptionists and the owner can read/write although speaking is more limited. It's a pretty nice place right in the center of the old part of Latacunga. Great ice cream shop on the corner.

Mama Negra is worth trying to catch if you are there 23-24 September and there is a (supposedly) better one around the second Saturday in November.

http://www.villadetacvnga.com/index....ite-individual
Old Jul 8th, 2014, 04:45 AM
Original Poster

Thank you all for the information. I am really enjoying reading your blog, @crellston!
Old Jul 8th, 2014, 09:44 AM

We also spent a couple of nights at La Luna just outside of Otavalo. I agree with Crellston - it was lovely and we really enjoyed being in the countryside. The owners or managers will call for a taxi whenever you need one. Food was pretty good as well.