Departure fee

Dec 11th, 2009, 04:52 AM
Original Poster

Departure fee

We are headed for a cruise in South America soon and although the cruise ends in Valparaiso, we are leaving out of the airport in Santiago. I understand that there is a departure fee, but have seen so many different prices quoted - ranging from $30 per person to $131 per person - cash only. Anyone know the scoop on these fees? Is there also an entrance fee in Valparaiso? Just need to have a handle on how much cash we will need to have. Thanks.
Dec 11th, 2009, 05:17 AM

We didn't pay a departure fee when we flew out of Santiago unless it was part of the airline ticket fees. You pay a fee if you fly into santiago, however we crossed into Chle by bus from Argentina and didn't pay one.I don't know about cruise ships,sorry.
Dec 11th, 2009, 10:26 AM

Airport taxes should be built into your airline ticket. If it is not, it would be US$30. You are confusing airport fees and the reciprocity fee, which is only charged to certain nationalities and only on arrival at the airport in Santiago.
Dec 14th, 2009, 02:21 PM

I paid an entry/reciprocity fee in Santiago, but not a departure fee.
Dec 14th, 2009, 05:58 PM

I think that what you call a departure fee it is actually an Airport tax. This tax I believe is charged in all or most all airports around the world, Like for instance it is charged in Miami ,the thing is thatmost of the time it is included in the plane ticket.I might be wrong but Argentina used to charge it separatly and it was like 16 dollars, but now they have raised it to
29 dollars and it can be included in the ticket. For instance I flew early this month and it was included. I had bought the ticket in the US.'
This should not be confused with and entrance fee that IT IS NOT CHARGED by most countries, . What happens is that the United States requires a VISA, which is not the same that a simple entrance fee to Argentine citizens. So the Argentine Government has seen it fit to require an equivalent amount of money only to get into the country and only to be charged at
Ezeiza Airport. When a Visa is required by any country usually there is a charge since a visa requieres some work from the country asking for the visa . The entrance fee requires no work or paperwork but I guess it should be understood as a protest from Argentina
againts the countries who charge Argentine citizens for visas.
WhatI see like a little to much from the US Government is that even is the visa is denied
the US does not refund any of the 131 dollars that have been paid to process the visa.