Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > South America
Reload this Page >

Considering an Ayahuasca retreat. Any suggestions?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 31st, 2018, 03:14 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I heard a lot about Ayahuasca and I did my research in Google about it. I believe ayahuasca is just what I need at this stage in my life. Anyway there are plenty of retreats in Peru and Brazil. Can you recommend any of them and why? Can you share more info about your personal experience with Ayahuasca? Thank you for the help.
Old Jan 31st, 2018, 07:00 AM

I have no personal experience of Ayuhasca and I doubt you will find anyone here who has. Personall, if I were to take hallucinogenic drugs, I really wouldn’t want to do it in the South American Jungle. Have a look at this report of a British guy stabbed to death by a Canad8an guy off his head on the stuff Briton killed in Peru ayahuasca ceremony texted girlfriend about 'bad experience' in Amazon - Telegraph
Old Jan 31st, 2018, 10:24 AM

I don't want to say flat out don't do it -- I'm sure many people have a come away with a benefit. But in Peru, where oversight is lax and with recent news of multiple deaths in the last few years, I wouldn't put my faith in in too many homebrew hallucinogens in the jungle here in Peru. Be extremely careful of who you're trusting...be aware...and I would have someone else (friend or family) with you since many in Peru are slow to act if things go wrong.
Old Mar 11th, 2018, 09:02 AM

My son just did one and had a great experience and now my husband is looking into it. My son went to one in Iquitos, hummingbird retreat. He researched a lot before going . They had doctors there and he felt very safe and well looked after. It was very intense but did him a lot of good. Just saw him again last night and he is really a lot happier now .
My husband can't handle jungle heat so looking at one outside Pisac which also has doctors on staff. Etnicas.

i won't go with him as I believe it should be an individual journey, but I will be staying close by in Pisac while he is there. My son went alone.
Old Mar 28th, 2018, 01:54 AM
Original Poster

Thank you all for the comments. live24day thank you for the recommendations. I looked into Iquitos and Etnikas and they do look great. I decided to go to Brazil, because I have always wanted to visit that country. I found only the Spirit vine retreats in Google for Brazil. I watched some videos on their youtube channel and people seem to be happy with their retreats there. I guess I will give it a try. I will share my experience with you guys after the retreat.
Old Mar 28th, 2018, 05:29 PM

Great!