Search

Colombia trip - quick check re distribution of days

Search this Thread

Old Jun 10th, 2019, 03:52 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Colombia trip - quick check re distribution of days

Hi savvy Fodorites!
I am about to book a 10-night trip to Colombia. Was planning the following distribution of days. Does this make sense?

Nights 1-3 - Medellin (1st day will be fully booked with travel; 2 full days in Medellin - I realize that we will be scratching the surface)
nights 4-6 -- coffee country - Armenia (relaxation, hikes, coffee tour, visit small towns)
nights 7-10 Cartagena

Traveling with multi-generational group ages 12 through 80+ (grandparents)

Thanks so much, in advance, for any feedback.
Old Jun 11th, 2019, 01:14 PM

Looks like a fair distribution of your time. My concern would be in the time required to get from A to B to C, often longer than you may expect.

We just really passed through Armenia but don’t recall being that enthralled. Loved our time in Salento which was our base for the Zona Cafetera.

With such a short time in each place, location is key when choosing accommodation. In Medellin we found the free graffiti tours an excellent way of getting orientated - as long as the grandparents are up for some walking. Medellin is very spread out so maybe best to decide what you want to see before choosing where to stay. In Cartagena we stayed in Getsemeni just outside the old city which suited us perfectly ( Getsemeni is worth a visit in its own right) but staying within the old city may be better for a short visit.
Old Jun 12th, 2019, 08:37 AM

Assume you are picking Armenia for the airport and lodging options, and then would take trips to some nearby small towns?

You may be interested in trying to replicate the Nat Geo itinerary. Note that they fly into Bogota instead of Medellin. I guess you'd need to check the flight schedules to see what works.

https://www.nationalgeographic.com/e...columbia-tour/

I spent a week in Medellin last May...note that there is a bimodal rainy season.. April/May and September-November.. it can get real!

The Communa 13 Tour in Medellin was great. Follow up by taking the cable car. You'd probably also want to do a downtown walking tour.

Cartagena is ridiculously hot and humid. All Year.
Old Jun 15th, 2019, 08:11 PM
Original Poster

Hi All,
Thanks so much for these helpful tips. We had been thinking of gong to Armenia because of "Hacienda Bambusa" -- which seems to be a lovely place to unwind and check out the coffee region.

I will definitely look into the Medellin city tours that you mentioned. We would essentially travel the 1st day, then have 2 full days to see Medellin. On the 2nd day, I was considering a side trip to see Guatape - hopefully that is not too much travel. But it seems really lovely.

Thanks for suggesting the NatGeo itinerary - I had not seen that. I appreciate the walking tour tips for Medellin - will check those out.

I welcome any tips on not-to-be-missed experiences or restaurants from Medellin and Cartagena. Thanks so much
Old Jun 15th, 2019, 10:47 PM

If you are there are over a weekend, then the food truck street near the Museo de arte Moderno is a great place to eat. Some details on our blog @ https://accidentalnomads.com/2016/06...g-in-medellin/

Not to miss places - the above Museum is excellent and definitely a trip in the cable cars over Santo Domingo.
Old Jun 18th, 2019, 05:38 PM

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post
I think that sounds like a nice itin. We also stayed in Salento and loved it, but it is a small town. Here is our trip report on Colombia, it’s a great country. Have a good trip.The Travel Cartel Go to Colombia