Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > South America
Reload this Page >

Can someone check my itinerary? Lima/Cusco/SV/Machu Picchu/Amazon

Old Nov 7th, 2022, 12:12 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I’ve done a fair amount of research and feel pretty comfortable with our itinerary, but I’d love some input on how we could make it better. We’re a couple in our 60s from Florida traveling with my brother and sister-in-law.. We’re in reasonably good shape, but because of my wife’s back, we won’t be doing any strenuous hikes. We do like to travel at a relaxed pace (for example, we recently spent two weeks in Tuscany). We’re traveling late April to early May from Miami, Florida. This will be our first time in Peru.

By the way, some of our lodging choices are based on a hotel having air conditioning.

Day 1: Fly to Lima. Arrive at 10:40 p.m. Overnight in the Barranco or Miraflores district.

Days 2 & 3: Lima.

Day 4: Fly to Cusco. We’re doing it this way (rather than immediately going from Lima to Cusco) because Day 4 is a Sunday and we’d like to be in Pisco for the market. Our plan is to probably use Taxidatum as a combination taxi/tour to Ollantaytambo, stopping at the Pisco market and ruins and some of the animal farms. Overnight Ollantaytambo.

Days 5, 6, 7, 8: Ollantaytambo and Sacred Valley. We haven’t chosen a place to stay in Ollantaytambo, but we’re looking for one with nice grounds so we can just hang out and relax occasionally, taking in the beautiful surroundings. We’re planning to do the usual tourist sites but would also like to experience some crafts (weaving, etc.) and maybe a cooking class.

Day 9: Morning train to Machu Picchu. We’d like to see Machu Picchu twice, once today in the mid-afternoon and again early the next morning. Overnight at Tierra Viva Machu Picchu Hotel.

Day 10: Early morning visit to Machu Picchu than early afternoon to Cusco, probably via Ollantaytambo. Is that the right way to do it? Overnight Costa Del Sol Wyndham Cusco.

Days 11 & 12: Cusco. First day in the city, second day visit the ruins outside the city.

Day 13: 11:48 a.m. flight from Cusco to Puerto Maldonada for first day in the Amazon. Our plan is to book with JunglePro (FYI, we looked into Tambopata Research Center, but the one-hour van ride each way over a bumpy road dissuased us).

Days 14, 15 and 16: Amazon. Final day will be at Lake Sandoval.

Day 17: Fly from Puerto Maldonado to Lima. Overnight at one of the airport hotels.

Day 18: 11:59 p.m. flight from Lima to Miami, so we have the entire day.

Again, thank you for your input.

Dave
Old Nov 7th, 2022, 11:42 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Here is what I posted in answer to your question on Tripadvisor;Looks like a good, well thought out itinerary. In terms of balance, perhaps a little too much time in Ollantaytambo. It is a stunning village but small. Maybe drop a night or two there and add to Cusco which seems very light.

I would also use a taxidatum tour to visit Moray, Maras and Chinchero on the way back from Ollantaytambo to Cusco.

I think Pisac market has been moved from its usual location for building works. Whether that will be the case when you go I am not sure but may be worth checking to see and if it is still worth going on a Sunday. If not Chinchero market is second only to Pisac.