Buenos Aires - Iguazu Falls

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 5th, 2009, 05:26 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Seeking consensus for # of days stay in BA and Iguazu Falls, what to do near the falls etc. Flight to Iguazu are expensive and the bus ride is very long. Any ideas for best way? Me thinks to arrive in Argentina before obliging a date for the side trip. And, other than typical places is there a MUST not to be missed in Buenos Aires or nearby? We expect to go during March/April or Sept/October 2010 and seek to avoid summer or rainy climate.

Your feedback please.
Old Aug 5th, 2009, 07:51 PM

When I have gone to Buenos Aires (3Xs), I've stayed no fewer than 5-10 days, and with an outstanding itinerary the time that I spent there was quite ample.

In terms of your going to Foz do Iguacu, if you are traveling alone-- two days at the max. If you have a traveling companion, 2-3 days. I flew to the Brazilian side of the falls and stayed in the upscale lodging that is right there in the park itself. Upon arriving I booked four tours right there at the airport. All were magnificent.

On the day of arrival, I checked into my hotel room then left and walked the expansive grounds. Later I found myself walking to the falls on the Brazilian side. The next day I was on a tour with two other individuals. Our guide took us to the Argentine side of the falls where we walked and walked and walked and enjoyed this immensely.

Later that day I took two tours: one of the tours carried us into the falls themselves. What an experience which shall forever be remembered.

Afterwards I returned to the hotel and went to a cultural show which was forty minutes away. On my last full day, I went to the damn (a dynamic structure) and somewhere else. (...can't remember to date.) At night I dined at the hotel on a sumptuous Brazilian meal.

Take advantage of all of the opportunities that prevail in Buenos Aires, "the Paris of the South," and a beautiful city in which one can walk for days. The culture there is profound.

Read all that is here because folks have written rather extensively.
Old Aug 6th, 2009, 08:33 AM

An overnight in Iguazu is sufficient. I would fly to avoid the waste of time on a bus ( in addition to never riding buses anyway lol) .... <I>I get dreadfully car sick on buses</I>.
A day trip/train ride to Tigre would be nice and interesting.

A day trip to Colonia , Uruguay is nice ..

There are these great open bus tours here, great way to spend your first day in BA, getting an idea of the "lay of the land" ...

My suggestion is always the same.. try to plan a neighborhood or 2 a day.. using maps etc to plot your course and to get the most out of your time here.. it is a huge city and you don't want to spend/waste too much time going from one sight/neighborhood to the other.

Make lists and lists of what you want to see and do , time will fly .

Our first trip here was for 2 weeks and we barely scratched the surface .. there were so many things we wanted to see and do .... so we moved here
Old Aug 6th, 2009, 08:45 AM

The climate in our city is the best during those months! It tends to be hot, hot enough to be walking around wearing a t-shirt
In Buenos Aires there is plenty to do and see. I'm a porteño but everyday I discover something different.
On Sundays you can visit the San Telmo flea market on Defensa street, only available on Sundays. In Palermo you can visit the Japanese Garden, the Palermo Parks, the Botanic Garden
In Abasto there is Carlos Gardel house
In Iguazú you should stay at least 2 nights so you can explore the falls at your pace. You must visit both sides, in Argentina you experience the falls (80% of the falls are ours) and in Brazil you have an amazing panoramic view

I hope this info is useful!
Old Aug 6th, 2009, 08:45 AM

Hello,

Time frames are always difficult in Argentina since its such a HUGE country... I would say that 10 days for BA and Iguazu is about right on the basis that you'll lose a day arriving and leaving and Iguazu needs a night + timegetting there and back... I would say the only way to go is flying, by bus its VERY long and although the buses are comfy its exhausting... then if you want to explore any more of Argentina add 3 days per region... (Salta, Mendoza, El Calafate, Bariloche, Ushuia etc etc!) Domestic flights are usually around $320USD, but in advance they're cheaper, so remember that! March/April is perhaps more touristy (in the Easter) week but generally the weather is better than September/October.
BUT... if you come in September you could go to the Brazil v Argentina world cup football game in Rosario (Sept 6th) which will be AMAZING!!
Unmissable activities in and around BA are... a walk around Palermo Soho, a day trip to Tigre (ecological reserve), a "parilla" restaurant, Sunday in San Telmo, a visit to the Fine Arts Museum, trip to a Gaucho town - Campana or San Antonio de Areco...

Have a great time!!
Old Aug 6th, 2009, 09:05 AM

I wouldn't suggest the open bus tours for first timers...
I took that tour a couple of days ago. It's great because you get an amazing view of the city and for only AR$25 or AR$35 pesos you can see the main spots of the city. However, it's not guided by a person, you have to put on the headphones and listen to a tape. When I took the tour, the tape was running but the bus itself was 15 minutes delayed. So when the tape described La Boca, we were still looking at the houses in San Telmo...
I did this on a weekday, if you do it on a Sunday there won't be traffic and everything will be ok but on Sundays there will be lots of people because Buenos Aires citizens as well take this tour
Old Aug 6th, 2009, 03:31 PM

lol, that is awful about the tape running behind !
We see them here in Recoleta, every day. The bus stops in front of the Belle Artes Museum and we are always in the parks with the dog.
Even if the tapes were not perfect, to see the city from the top of the bus would be more pleasant ( imo) than seeing it from a taxi or trying to walk all those miles.

sofi, did you get on and off or is it a stay on the entire ride , sort of tour?
Old Aug 6th, 2009, 07:10 PM

we stayed 3 nites in iguazu and that was one too many...even with flying up for one day it would be tight really...

if you are from usa, you want to avoid brazil as the visa is about $150...so either fly only to argentina or take the bus....the nite buses are very lux and comfortable...in lux class...

the sheraton is the only place to stay iop....its right there...

one visit really is not sufficient...you must visit at least twice i feel....i preferred the upper trail which is easier...

i went in april and the weather this year was fabulous
Old Aug 6th, 2009, 07:11 PM

i should add that day one in iguazu it rained hard all day....
Old Aug 9th, 2009, 10:37 AM

sofi2506:
How do you book the open air bus tour? Where can one pick it up?
Thanks
Old Aug 10th, 2009, 09:23 AM

www.buenosairesbus.com/servicio_eng.htm
Above is the Big Yellow bus tour that I was speaking of ... there is also the L'Open bus tour

http://www.lopentour.com.ar/english/lopentour.html
Old Aug 11th, 2009, 09:36 PM

I stayed the whole trip on the bus because if you got off you would have to wait till the next bus, and be lucky to find a good seat... However, this is the best way to admire our city, you will be able to take great pictures!
This bus departs from the corner on Florida street and Diagonal norte where you have to buy the ticket and during the ride you can get on and off as many times as you'd like on each stop. Even though this is ran by a company, it is still ran by the city government.

I forgot about the l'opentour! Thanks Scarlett! This might be better since it's a private company... As soon as I can I'll try to take that tour and tell you guys how it was
Old Aug 12th, 2009, 12:40 AM

My friend and I made good use of our first partial day after landing, two full days (which included a daytrip to Brazil and a full moon walk on the Argentinian side), and then a few hours on the last day before our flight. There are lots of trails, and I suspect most visitors do not take most of them, but we did a bunch, including the Macucu trail which has lots of monkeys and other wildlife. So I liked having three nights at the Sheraton in Iguazu, although I admit I was skeptical when my friend wanted to stay that long.

Even with that much time, I feel there was a fair bit we didn't see, particularly on the Brazilian side.
Old Aug 12th, 2009, 08:46 AM

sofi and scarlett:
Thanks for the details on the open bus tours -- since I will have such a limited time in BA, this will be perfect.
Old Aug 12th, 2009, 09:04 AM

hello again!

Another option for bus tours and all kinds of tours including museums, cafes, walking tours, running tours bike tours is bsas4u, they have every kind of tour you can imagine! My parents did the Eva Peron tour and they loved it!
Old Aug 12th, 2009, 02:06 PM

I loved the Eva Peron Museum. My friend and I went via taxi on our own and enjoyed viewing and reading what awaited us. If I manage to return in 2010, he and I perhaps will go there again.

If time permits-- do do this; it's easily done independently as well as many of the other museums that exist in this beautiful city, and in speaking of museums, one day I went to about three of them via taxi and managed quite well although I do not speak or write Espanol.
Old Aug 12th, 2009, 10:48 PM

Scarlett, Thak you for the info on the open bus tours. I think an open bus tour will be perfect for the evening we arrive from Bariloche. The best part is that we are staying just a few blocks from Plaza San Martin!

It IS safe to walk there from the hotel isn't it?
Old Aug 18th, 2009, 09:25 AM

If you are interested in tango you may also consider visiting the Carlos Gardel Museum, on 735 Jean Jaurès Street, in Abasto.
Here is the link with some useful info: http://www.bue.gov.ar/recorridos/ind...den=18&lang=en
Old Aug 25th, 2009, 03:14 AM

Yes Carlos Gardel's house is a very nice trip! Him and Evita are behind a lot of the history in BA, so if you could visit them both you'd appreciate the city a lot more! With a tour you could see 4 or 5 in a day...
Old Aug 25th, 2009, 06:57 AM

Sofi 2506, how long does it take to get between the two airports in Buenos Aires? What is the fastest way to do this? Thanks

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -