Search

Brazil World Cup

Search this Thread

Old Apr 25th, 2013, 06:17 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Brazil World Cup

Hi all

I want to go to Brazil for the world cup, I want to go to Rio, Salvador and Florianopolis. Where should I go first and how long should I stay in each?

+ any other tips for 1st timer to Brazil?

Cheers

Peter
Old Apr 26th, 2013, 04:55 PM

What are your interests other than football? It's hard to give a time-frame for each city without knowing what you want to see/do.
Old Apr 29th, 2013, 05:25 PM

OK, I'll pick up this thread while we wait for AsurfMan to get back to us. My party is a group of 6, maybe seven, of whom 4 want tickets to an actual match (not following a particular country, just want to see one match)the other 2 or three are just along for the ride. We'll want to see one of the 'main" cities of Rio OR Sao Paulo and one other city not usually on US travelers radar. candidates are Recife, Salvador, Curatiba, and Belo H. The main objective is to enjoy the combined vibe of the excitement around the world Cup and the Vibe of brazil in general. Any ideas on a city pair you'd recommend?
Old Apr 29th, 2013, 11:26 PM

If you are interested in music I'd say Salvador, it's the Afro-Brazilian capital. The food is also great in Salvador, there's also lots of museums and Baroque churches worth visiting.

Belo Horizonte itself is not that interesting but there's the amazing Pampulha nearby designed by Oscar Niemeyer. We saw a football game there which was incredibly exciting and I'm not much of a soccer fan--my partner it. The gold towns are also amazing: Ouro Preto, Mariana, Tiradentes etc.

Rio is unbelievably beautiful, I would definitely go there. Sao Paulo I like a lot because I like the galleries, but if that's not a priority then go to Rio. I haven't been to Recife or Curatiba.

Manaus is another centre for the World Cup in Amazonas, it might be a city to consider if you want to see a game. Then you could go to the Amazon as a second destination.
Old Apr 30th, 2013, 04:08 PM

Oh, yes, the music is a draw. Thanks for the timely feedback.
Old May 1st, 2013, 07:29 AM

There are so many considerations in deciding what cities/games/teams to apply for. We have been to two world cups. It is hard to predict how many people will travel to Brazil from around the world. Local ticket demand will likely be very high. All to say that I would be doubtful you could get four tickets to any one game but I could be wrong.

If you are interested in "the vibe" you may want to consider who is playing where. In Germany in 2006 the vibe was incredible in cities where Spain, Italy and the Dutch were playing, and of course the Germans. When it was Serbia versus Ivory Coast, even in Munich, it was pretty quiet. I suspect any city where a South American team is playing the atmosphere will be amazing.

Hope it works out.
Old May 4th, 2013, 07:00 PM

I live in Salvador and love it! I would certainly include it in your tour of Brazil!