Argentinan Entry fee for US citizens as of 12/20/09

Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 11th, 2009, 01:19 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just got this email - I take it it is legit and I got it since I registered on the state department site - four days before I land at EZE it goes into effect!

Airport Entry Fee

December 11, 2009

This warden message is being issued to alert U.S. citizens that on
December 20, 2009, the Government of Argentina will begin charging
American Citizens visiting Argentina for business or tourism an entry
fee of $131 U.S. dollars. The fee will be collected only at Buenos
Aires Ezeiza International Airport. Once paid, the fee permits multiple
entries into Argentina for ten years in accordance with United States
visa reciprocity. Americans may pay in dollars, by credit card, or with
travelers checks.
Old Dec 11th, 2009, 01:35 PM
Original Poster

MMM- cant find it on the state department site yet....
Old Dec 11th, 2009, 02:50 PM

I'll ask my travel agent about it on Monday.

I find it somewhat strange, as it certainly seemed the government had abandoned this terrible idea, first brought up over a year ago. See my "A REALLY dumb decision!" thread.

However, it is quite clear the Kirchners are trying desperately to raise money in any way they can. The good part is that in two years max, we'll be rid of them.
Old Dec 11th, 2009, 03:07 PM

I just heard about it today myself. I heard it was postponed until January, 2010.
Old Dec 11th, 2009, 03:11 PM
Original Poster

Between my goof flying into Chile and this - I am now out $562 in entry fees - that would pay for a lot of steak!!!
Old Dec 11th, 2009, 03:24 PM
Original Poster

Took a while to find it - but here it is

http://www.migraciones.gov.ar/
Old Dec 11th, 2009, 04:31 PM

Man, this sucks. So it's $70 for me and $131 for my husband. This trip is becoming more and more expensive. Well, I guess I can count myself fortunate - originally we were going to go to Chile & Argentina, then we decided on Argentina & Uruguay. And although we're going to Iguazu, we're not going to go into Brazil.
Old Dec 11th, 2009, 04:31 PM
P_M

From what I can gather this is not a visa so you don't have to get it in advance, am I correct? We have to pay the fee upon entry?

If that's the case then it still stinks but at least there's not the hassle of getting a visa in advance.
Old Dec 11th, 2009, 04:42 PM
Original Poster

Yes you just pay at the airport. Says you can use a credit card too.

Susanintoronto I understand - we are spending 3 hours at the airport in Santiago and we have to pay the $263! Between the LAN flights, customs fees and the all the shots, I think Italy was cheaper! Definately skipping the Brazilian side of the falls - not paying anymore entry fees!
Old Dec 12th, 2009, 02:59 AM

If it is going to be charged only at Ezeiza Airport in Buenos Aires, and not at Aeroparque airport in BUenos AIres I would go first to Uruguay and then fly to aeroparque . Pluna the
Uruguayan airliner has nice flights in new planes Bombardier ,Made in Canada.
There is also Aerolineas Argentinas.
However this sounds so crazy, I would imagine they will charge on both airports.
The question then would be, Do they charge is you take the Buquebus?
Old Dec 12th, 2009, 05:35 AM

Does this start in December or January? I didnt see that anywhere on the link.
We are landing on Dec 22, ugh!!! 4 Americans - that is $524 bucks!! Susan - I hear you !! This trip is way more than we had anticipated!! Every time I tell someone we are heading for Argentina - they say of course - its sooo cheap!! I look at them like they are crazy!!
But at this point - we are in!! So C'est la vie!! And bring on the Malbec
Old Dec 12th, 2009, 05:36 AM

Also we layover in Bogota - do they have a fee too?? Looks like Chile does.
Old Dec 12th, 2009, 05:48 AM

www.travel.state.gov Argentina

Effective 12/20/09 $131 for US Citizens only flying into EZE

Reciprocity for what US Charges Argentinians not a visa

not charged crossing borders into Argentina

Colombia Peru Ecuador Uruguay no reciprocity fees yet

Chile has been doing this for SCL for a while
Old Dec 12th, 2009, 05:59 AM

Most non-diplomatic and non-official visas issued by United States consular officers abroad require a visa "application" (machine-readable visa - MRV) fee that recovers for the United States the costs associated with manufacturing, processing, and printing the visa. The current visa "application" fee is $131.00. Most visa applicants (visitors, students, temporary workers, etc.) are charged this $131.00 visa "application" fee even if there is no visa "issuance" fee.

So Argentinians must pay $131

just to apply for entry to the US.

Tit for Tat..
Old Dec 12th, 2009, 06:00 AM

not_enuf_vaca, my heart goes out to you especially! I am still hoping you can tag those bags all the way through from Mendoza and at least avoid the Chile fee. Or even find a friendly LAN agent at the airport in Santiago who will go and re-tag them for you. There is always hope. At least paying the fee to enter Argentina you will be getting your holiday out of it.
Have a lovely trip and enjoy yourselves to the full. Come back before your passports expire and think of how much you will be saving!
Old Dec 12th, 2009, 06:19 AM

qwovadis - Thanks for the clarification.
Old Dec 12th, 2009, 07:00 AM

My travel agent called me, yesterday. Canadians will have to pay $70 each upon arrival EZE. Fees start in December. A couple of days ago we paid $350 for our shots. My husband is wondering how much more this inexpensive holiday to Argentina is going to cost us?
Old Dec 12th, 2009, 10:30 AM
Original Poster

Condu - Im right there with you. So far, before we have even left home, this trip has cost us more then any of our European trips. Im hoping it will be offset somewhat by the costs in-country - and Im still excited to be going somewhere new as Ive been to Europe 4 times - but it has been a bit of a shocker.
I just figured out I rented my car in the NW one day late....they want to charge me 200 more dollars to change it now as the cars are sold out in the area!!! Im bleeding $$$$
Old Dec 12th, 2009, 10:53 AM

This is the entire email:

December 11, 2009

This warden message is being issued to alert U.S. citizens that on December 20, 2009, the Government of Argentina will begin charging American Citizens visiting Argentina for business or tourism an entry fee of $131 U.S. dollars. The fee will be collected only at Buenos Aires Ezeiza International Airport. Once paid, the fee permits multiple entries into Argentina for ten years in accordance with United States visa reciprocity. Americans may pay in dollars, by credit card, or with travelers checks.

U.S. citizens may also call the Office of Overseas Citizens Services in the U.S. for the latest travel information. The Office of Overseas Citizens Services can be reached from 8:00 am - 8:00 pm Eastern Daylight Time, M-F, at 1-888-407-4747, or if calling from outside the U.S., at (202)-501-4444. For any emergencies involving American citizens, please contact the American Citizens Services (ACS) Unit of the U.S. Embassy's Consular Section, located at 4300 Avenida Colombia, 1425 Buenos Aires;

telephone+54-11-5777-4354; after hours emergency telephone

+54-11-5777-4873; ACS unit fax +54-11-5777-4293; e-mail

[email protected]; web page http://argentina.usembassy.gov

<http://argentina.usembassy.gov> .

Americans living or traveling in Argentina are encouraged to register with the nearest U.S. Embassy or Consulate through the State Department's travel registration website,

https://travelregistration.state.gov/ibrs/ui

<https://travelregistration.state.gov/ibrs/ui> so that they can obtain

updated information on travel and security within Argentina. Americans without internet access may register directly with the nearest U.S. Embassy or Consulate.
Old Dec 12th, 2009, 12:35 PM

Personally I believe that is a tit for tat from the Argentine Government. The US has to process a visa in accordance with its inmigrant policy, I wish th US would refund the fee in case the result is negative. It would be a nice touch.
Same for Canada, I do not see too many Canadians wishing to make a living in Argentina while I see many Argentineans pushed to live abroad to make a decent living. So it is
only reasonable that countries in such a position charge for visas when for whatever reason they are forced process a visa. It has been this way always all over the world. Again I wished the US had a nice touch and return the fees when visas are denied.

On the other hand I do not see that the Argentine Governmet has to process anything or go to any trouble that justifies the $133 dollars fee, that is why I see it as a tit for tat.
Is it wise , or tourist friendly for Argentina? Time will tell. On the other hand I feel Uruguay is much wiser and will not impose such a fee.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -