Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > South America
Reload this Page >

American tire sizes common in the Americas?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 17th, 2021, 01:15 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello everyone..

Ive been dreaming about shipping my diesel truck and small camper by ferry from colon to cartagena one of these years..

I imagine I'm going to need a set or two of tires for my truck and trailer during my travels down the west coast and was wondering if 16" light truck tires are widely available there? I wouldn't be spending allot of time in the bigger cities, so I don't want to get stranded because I chose to use a hard to find tire size.

Thanks!
Old Apr 17th, 2021, 05:52 PM

Received 8 Likes on 1 Post
Tire sizes are universal throughout Latin America, in that how they measure in the US is how you'd order them in South America. A good site for reference is Mercado Libre for the countries you'll be traveling through.
Old Apr 18th, 2021, 04:39 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by baldone
Tire sizes are universal throughout Latin America, in that how they measure in the US is how you'd order them in South America. A good site for reference is Mercado Libre for the countries you'll be traveling through.
Thank you Baldone!

The thing is, I wouldn't want to wait for a "Order" to arrive.

What I would like is to run a wheel and tire size that is common and easily found on the west coast of south america.. A tire size that is usually in stock.
Old Apr 22nd, 2021, 08:39 AM

Received 8 Likes on 1 Post
Mike, I wasn't suggesting that you'd be ordering tires. Just that if you look on ML for the various countries you'll be traveling through, you'll see that US sizes are standard throughout Latin America. Or just Google llantas santiago chile.