4 weeks to plan in Argentina

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 5th, 2012, 05:56 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We are in the planning stages of a 4 week trip to Argentina the last 2 weeks of Oct. And 1st 2weeks of Nov.

Preliminary plan: 4 days BA, fly to the falls for 2 nights, fly to Salta area for 1week with rental car. Fly to Patagonia closest airport and stay 2weeks including a trip to Chile TDP.

Maybe fly to Santiago with 2nights before flying home.

I realize this is a lot of flying but we will most likely not get back to this area. Will so many flights be out of sight money wise? Anyone have a ballpark estimate of same?

Does this plan seem possible?

Any help appreciated.
Old Jan 5th, 2012, 11:19 PM

It all seems entirely possible but do check the situation re volcanic activity in the south as this could affect you ability to fly to some places- I think some airports have been closed for some time - How long this will continue is anyone's guess hopefully all will be clear by Oct.

Flights are very expensive in Argentina due mainly to a dual pricing system which means that foreigners pay 3 x as mauch as Argentine nationals. It is impossible to give a ballpark without specifics so I would suggest you determine approx dates etc and check it out online. It is possible to buy an Aerolineas Argentina airpass from outside Argentina which will could prove to be cheaper. A furtehr problem with flights is that many will have to be routed through BA, adding to cost and time.

If cost is an issue, do consider using the excellent bus system. It is efficient, very comfortable and a LOT cheaper than flying (around 1/3 of the cost even if travelling Ejecutivo - First class). The distances are substantial but many journeys can be done overnight saving on cost of accomodation. If you take into account travelling time to/from airports and "hanging around time" and delays you probably won't see much of a difference espeically on overnight trips.
Old Jan 6th, 2012, 05:52 AM

latinamericaforless.com or wowargentina.com can save usually
over DIY. Monitor consualr advisories for volcanoes with
indigestion not uncommon insuremytrip.com.
spg.com Sheraton Iguazu my fav and Libertador in BsAS great
get their CC for cash point free stays some times I did.
despegar.com for DIY Pass rarely can save usually does not.
Old Jan 6th, 2012, 03:02 PM

I think it sounds like a good trip. I did BA, Iguazu, Salta (8 nights) and El Calafate in 3 weeks, so you have time, in my opinion, to really see more of Patagonia and go into Chile in 4 weeks. I don't think we were rushed, and the flying about was ok. We used both Lan and Aerolineas, and despite the reputation of the latter, it was fine. You can now fly from Iguazu to Salta, whereas we had to go back to BA. It is true the flights are not cheap. We saved some by using the One World South America pass. Distances are just too great to make bus travel feasible, in my opinion, especially to combine the far north (Iguazu, Salta) with the far south (Patagonia). I'd say fly and try to save on hotels. Like qwovadis, I have used Starwood free nights or cash and points to great effect--BA, Santiago, Patios de Cafayate in the Northwest and Sheraton Iguazu.

Weather in Patagonia in November can still be cool or it can be great. The year we went to Torres del Paine, we had 4 clear, fairly warm and wind free days. Three years later, we went to El Calafate, almost the same time of year, and we had rain, some wind, some snow, some clear--in short, everything. Just bring layers. I like that time of year as the sun stays up a really long time that far south.

Depending upon what airline you use to fly to Argentina, it might be easier to fly out of Chile after visiting Torres del Paine. You will likely have to leave your rental car in Argentina (if you have one in Patagonia at all) and take the bus into Chile, as it is very hard to take a rental car across the border. You could fly from Punta Arenas to Santiago and have a couple days there and fly home. That avoids having to go back to BA on your way home.

Have a great trip.
Old Jan 9th, 2012, 01:59 PM

Yes, do not miss the NW, Salta and Jujuy has the most incredible sceneries!!! The weather is great that time of year and the rains do not come until December.
Do not miss Cafayate, Purmamarca, the salt flats and Humahuaca Groge!
Taste the wines, and the wonderful empanadas, try our typical dishes in teh area...
flintstones