Search

Guide books recommendation for Patagonia

Search this Thread

Old Nov 4th, 2018, 09:07 PM
mjs
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Guide books recommendation for Patagonia

Going to Patagonia Nov 23 for two weeks. Any guide book recommendations? Have Lonely Planet Argentina and Fodors Chile. Also have an Old Footprint Argentina from the early 2000s.
Old Nov 4th, 2018, 10:54 PM

I think it is really a question of personal preference. My primary choice is for Rough Guides. I like the layout/format and find the print a little easier on the eyes ( but maybe that’s just me!). Second choice is Lonely Planet. I particularly like the info they provide on bus travel i.e. Company, times, costs etc which is particularly if travelling overland.

Much as I prefer paper, in the interests of packing light I have now moved entirely to ebooks which have improved a lot in recent times. Incidentally, I just bought a Central America book online and they appear to have a sale on £4.99 for any title. https://shop.lonelyplanet.com
Old Nov 5th, 2018, 04:39 PM
kja

I probably shouldn't answer, as I haven't been to Patagonia yet -- but FWIW, I'm usually a Rough Guides fan, also opting for Lonely Planet as a second -- EXCEPT for Central and South America, where I've found the Moon Guides to be exceptionally good. And that says a lot! But I don't think you'd do badly with any of them.

I use the guidebooks when planning, taking only a few parts that I need for my actual trip and using a Kindle version when possible.
Old Nov 8th, 2018, 03:11 PM

Fodors used to have a paper guidebook for Patagonia. You can probably pick one up on ebay. The hotel and restaurant listings of course will be outdated but you can always supplement that with tripadvisor or look at some trip reports here.

I have always preferred the Footprint country-specific series for South America. They have a fairly new (2017) edition for Patagonia so it might be worth ordering.

I like Moon as well and they have 2017 edition also.

I have never been a fan of Lonely Planet. Too much is second hand information and not well-vetted.
Old Nov 12th, 2018, 11:02 PM
mjs
Original Poster

Just as a feedback. I do not like the Lonely Planet Argentina guidebook. I have many Lonely Planet guides for a variety of different places but do not like their Argentina edition. The Footprint one is much better but it is not as good as my 2005 copy although obviously updated by different people. The Chile Fodors book is pretty decent. New Argentina one out on the 20th of this month. Just got the Moon Patagonia book but have not looked at it.