Search

10 days in Chile

Search this Thread

Old Mar 24th, 2016, 06:02 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
10 days in Chile

My husband and I are interested in taking our 7 yr old son to Chile in late Nov. we'd love to spend a couple of days in Santiago, Valpo/Vina del Mar and either to Easter Island or TdP. Is there enough time to fit in 3 locations? Would you choose Easter Island or TdP?? Or should we look into the Lake District? Is it much different than the lake districting Argentina (my husband and I visited there been)? I appreciate any input.
Thanks!
Old Mar 30th, 2016, 05:58 AM

In only 10 days you can't do 3 locations.
What you can do it's :
- 2-3 days in Canjon de Maipo near Santiago(lodging in Altiplanico San Jose de Maipo : quite, calm, swimming pool) : some nice hikes and not too difficult here with your son.

- then or Easter Island for 4 days but perhaps it will be long for your son.(altiplanico rapa nui is nice). The hikes are easy, there is a beach in "downtown" but also Atakena beach +++

- and back to santiago for 2-3 nights(Cumbres Lastarria-swimming pool... or Altiplanico Bellas Artes),a day excursion to Valparaiso is doable.

Patagonia can be a problem with the weather and difficult conditions with your son(cold++).Hikes are more challenging but ther is wildlife(condors, guanacos).

Atacama can be a good option but perhaps ask a doctor( 4000 m with a young child ??).(wild life+++).

Other option could be the Lake region :
- north(Huilo huilo and Vicarilla +++ with a child)
- also Puerto Varas and Petrohue with nice parks , easy hikes.

In all cases I will do Maipo/EI or Atacama or Patagonia or Lake/Santiago

Erik
Old Apr 11th, 2016, 10:28 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for your input Erik. Is Easter Island worth a visit? I feel like this would be our only opportunity to go as we would already be in Santiago. I'll look into Canjon de Maipo. If we did Valparaiso/Vina del Mar instead of Canjon de Maipo, could you recommend a tour guide or transportation to go from Santiago to Valpo with a stop at a winery or two in Casablanca Valley?
Old Apr 13th, 2016, 01:05 AM

For both of us, my wife and I, Easter Island was a child's dream and so we have not been disappointed..
We have been 3 times there and we'll be back next year.
There is a lot to do : visit, hikes(the hikes here are not difficult), horse rides, beach(akena beach is a must : sea, palms and statues..).
You can hike by yourselves(I don't know how to be loosed there but some part are better explored with a guide...).
The only interrogation : will you 7 years old child be receptive ?? There is no wild life...
But atmosphere is so irreal...
It's a 4-5 hours flight.
We try to get the first flight in the morning from Santiago and so you arrive at 1-2 pm and you have the whole afternoon...
The best back flight is at 1-2 pm and you arrive in Santiago at 8'45-9 pm.
It gives you the whole morning(museum, beach,...).
The Island is not so big and so it is possible to do something on the days of arrival and departure.

With your son the second option will be Atacama if the doctor authorizes... Wildlife and extraordinary sightseings, but be sure he will not have difficulties with altitude.

Then Lake's region.

I will "eliminate" Patagonia due to the possible difficult weather conditions, notably the cold...

Kipaventour SA in Santiago have a lot to propose in touring.
They have spanish and english guide...
You can join them via Linkedin or Face book.

In Easter Island, Tito Atan :
[email protected]
He is a pascuan and knows a lot . He speak english.
His website is : http://www.titorapanuitour.cl/contenido/trekking.php
It is better to send directly a message with his own adress because with the site that did not work always...

Finally this site allows to have contact with certified guides :
www.trekkingchile.com/guias/registrados

Erik