Search

1 Day in Lima/Miraflores - Itinerary Questions

Search this Thread

Old Jun 7th, 2016, 11:25 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1 Day in Lima/Miraflores - Itinerary Questions

Hello,

My husband and I will have 24 hours in Lima on Friday, July 29. I understand some places may be closed due to the holiday. Is this 1 day itinerary doable? Does the order of the day look okay? Is it safe to walk from our hotel in Miraflores to Larcomar and to Kennedy Park?

Overnight in Miraflores (breakfast included)
9:00am - Larcomar Seaside Shopping (15 min walk south from hotel)
11:00am - Mango's Seaside Restaurant for lunch (need reservations?)
1:30pm - Kennedy Park (10 min walk north from hotel), Plaza de Armas, Independence Day Parade?
4:00pm - Larco Museum (taxi from hotel)
6:00pm - Larco Museum Cafe Dinner
8:30pm - The Magic Water Circuit Parque de la Reserva (taxi from Larco Museum)
9:30pm - Taxi to Tierra Viva to pickup luggage and check out
10:00pm - Taxi to Airport for 12:45am Flight
Old Jun 7th, 2016, 02:02 PM

The Larco and restaurant may close at 6pm on public holidays according to their own website. I wonder if you should head there first for lunch (after when ever the parade is over) and then see the museum. Then head to the Magic Water Circuit (there should be an earlier "show" at 7:15 according to the website. The show is just a small part of the park, btw.

I am not a big fan of Larcomar (nor of Miraflores). Other than a view of the coast, and Laritza, a mall doesn't thrill me. You'll find similar prices at the airport stores. So if it were me I'd take a taxi to Barranco and visit some of the galleries instead. I wouldn't know whether the holiday would affect those.

I have never eaten at Mango's but I understand it's popular with tourists. I think poster crellston also raved about the buffet at the Marriott but not sure if that is an everyday affair. There are so many restaurants in Lima I might try a bit harder to find one that specializes in seafood (if you like that). On a holiday a reservation isn't a bad idea, but I think if you go early you will be okay without a reservation.

My advice would be to ask your hotel these questions. They could probably make any reservations that you might need, also. You might also ask them how to arrange transport back from the Parque de Reserva where the Magic Water is located.

There will be no problem walking around Miraflores, it is generally safe but I don't suggest carrying a large purse or backpack or hanging a big camera around your neck. It's better to use a small cross-body bag or keep your money for the day in a hidden pocket.
Old Jun 7th, 2016, 02:55 PM

I have a 23 hour layover this weekend. After a few hours of sleep, my daughter and I are going on a 5 hour day tour via http://www.limagourmetcompany.com/

A friend highly recommended it and we can't wait to experience it. I'll report back next week!
Old Jun 8th, 2016, 03:55 AM

The Marriott does have a great Sunday buffet. We tried to get in a few weeks ago but couldn't because it was Mother's Day! You need to be hungry. It does a great spread of western and Peruvian food.

Punta Azul would be my choice for a great seafood place. Not far from where you are. Very popular with locals. I think you can book for dinner but have to join a queue for lunch.

Like mlgb, Larcomar doesn't excite me but it does have great views of the coast and watching the hang gliders avoid the tower blocks can be fun!
Old Jun 8th, 2016, 08:26 AM
Original Poster

@mlgb - Thank you for all of the information! It has given me some alternatives to consider. Where do you see on that The Larco may close by 6pm on holidays? I see this on the museum's website: Opening Hours Mon – Sun 9:00 am – 10:00 pm (including public holidays, December 24th, 25th and 31st, and January 1st, from 9:00 am to 6:00 pm). Looks like they only close early for Christmas and New Years?
Old Jun 8th, 2016, 09:24 AM

You may be right about, sometimes things are muddled in translation. I would make a test reservation and/or email the hotel if you want to stick with that schedule.

Note that meals can drag out so if you are on a tight timeline let them know.
Old Jun 9th, 2016, 12:20 PM

Just wanted to add that we had lunch at the restaurant at Museo Larco a couple of years ago (wow) and it was great!
Old Jun 10th, 2016, 02:36 PM

It's a gloomy day here in Lima today, but just had a bright and cheery gourmet lunch at La Mar in Miraflores. Cerviche, Corvina & grilled octopus for 6 including drinks less than $20pp
Old Jun 11th, 2016, 09:11 AM

I wish the La Mar in San Francisco (which is an offshoot of the Lima location) were that inexpensive!
Old Jun 11th, 2016, 10:32 AM

I don't think so...FrankS.
Old Jun 11th, 2016, 11:34 AM

No joke, and no one could eat another bite. 65soles pp. if you think that's a no way, we just had a feast of pastries and tea at Cafe Panam in Cuzco for $4pp
Old Jun 11th, 2016, 11:44 AM

Btw-we had perfect weather for the sun god celebration, the traditional performers were awesome. But I must give mention to the group that included Nixon, Pinochet and a quack Dr with poisoned vaccine needle. Kissinger wasn't in it, unless he was the grim reaper guy(less scary that way)