Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

how to get around the Greek Islands in Sept/Oct?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 23rd, 2012, 03:21 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

How can I do the following route around the islands in September/October?
I have looked at www.go-ferry.com but they say they don't have a schedule that covers ferries from Santorini to Sifnos at that time.
Ventouris Sea Lines (http://www.ventourissealines.gr) seems to go from Santorini to Sifnos at least one day a week... is that reliable?
Help!

Our plan is (approximately)
21st Sept Piraeus -> Paros (maybe a side trip to Naxos and/or Antiparos)
26th Sept Paros -> Santorini
up to here it is pretty easy
30th Sept Santorini -> Sifnos
4th Oct Sifnos -> Piraeus

Can anyone tell us how to do this?
Old Jun 23rd, 2012, 07:04 AM

The problem is that Sifnos is on a different main ferry route from Santorini and Paros, so the Ventouris ferry on Sundays may be your only direct connection. The ferry is reliable, but weather or other unforeseen problems could crop up, so a once-a-week ferry is a bit of a gamble.

Another way would be to go From Santorini to Milos and connect there to Sifnos, Another would be to do Santorini first, then Paros, which has a twice-weekly ferry to Sifnos (Tue & Sun).

You would make life a lot simpler by choosing islands all on the same main ferry route, where there will be daily connections.
Old Jun 23rd, 2012, 08:41 AM

It's also possible there will be one or two other ferries between Santorini and Sifnos during that period. Some ferry companies operate subsidised routes that aren't shown on the ferry timetables more than a few weeks in advance. Zante Ferries' Adamantios Korais is currently scheduled on Tuesdays through August 28th, but this is a year-round ferry that will most likely continue into the winter.

You can see what is currently scheduled on www.gtp.gr. Leave the day and month at "Any" and it will show everything currently on the timetables. Some, like Superjet, are summer only, while others, like Agios Georgios and Adamantios Korais operate throughout the year.
Old Jun 24th, 2012, 02:24 PM

Very helpful, thank you.
How would you tackle planning this route? should we change our island choices?
From Australia it's a bit hard with the lack of future schedules....
Old Jun 24th, 2012, 10:32 PM

Tommmo, are you also the OP? I see you also posted this question on Thorn Tree.

For travel in late Sep/early Oct I would stick to one main ferry route, which will have daily connections. Sifnos is likely to be very quiet by late September, and at best you will have only two ferry connections per week from either Santorini or Paros.

If you want to visit three islands, a good plan would be to start at Santorini, then Naxos, and finally Paros. Consider flying directly from Athens to Santorini. Save a couple of days for Athens at the end of the trip.
Old Jun 25th, 2012, 01:55 AM

Thank you. I am in fact yeshekathy the OP's partner...though she is independant of course.
Two ferry connections per week would make a Sifnos visit a possibility, based on being there perhaps 3 or 4 days, not a bad prospect! We have about 16 days remember.
The plan is to get to Rhodes (via Athens due to the flight routes) after the 16 days and then to Fethiye Turkey